The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

After I breed the brothers to the sisters what do I breed their offspring to? Will they be buff colored or LC colored? I have plenty of bad type Lemons. I would really like to see this color on a chicken that actually looks like an Orpington should look, instead of looking like junk from a hatchery. Sick

~ Aspen
You would be selecting for best type. You should then have the Lemon Cuckoo gene in both sexes. And need not worry about loosing that. But type is what your after. And once you have the correct type in both male and female offspring with the Cuckoo trait you won't need the original parent stock anymore.

Last edited:
Lite eyes are fixable. If the bird has everything else you want you need to breed to the darkest eyes and then cull out what you don't want. Several generations and you will not see light eyes

Lite eyes are fixable. If the bird has everything else you want you need to breed to the darkest eyes and then cull out what you don't want. Several generations and you will not see light eyes

THANK YOU!
smile.png
That's what I really wanted to hear!

That is a very loaded question. I seen one of the dumpiest looking jubilee orp go for 150.00 that I would not pay 10.00 for and seen great english birds given to me.

Personally I prefer eggs you may pay the same for 6 eggs you would pay for a bird but with eggs you have a chance at getting a good bird. With buying a bird I assure you it is the worst from the hatching...usually. IMO Chicks are a gamble also because of shipping and possible disease.
What is a reasonable price for pure english LF lavender chicks? Is $170 reasonable? how much better would pure english be than three quarters english? Thanks!

Last edited:
What is a reasonable price for pure english LF lavender chicks? Is $170 reasonable? how much better would pure english be than three quarters english? Thanks!

If they are something you really want, then what does the price matter?

I would however want to see LOTS of pictures of the parent birds, to evaluate type, feather quality, etc. I wouldn't want to pay $170 for a bird no better than hatchery quality. If you're okay with run of the mill birds there are plenty of Lav Orp eggs on EBAY, all from American lines of course.

Last edited:
I'll ask about hatching eggs. I wouldn't mind a high price too much because they live quite close, we could go pick up the eggs and hopefully get a pretty good hatch rate. We'll see how it goes! $170 is just so much for such a fragile little thing, but I know importing them is expensive. I have seen some photos of the rooster, he's very, very fluffy.

Last edited:
I'll ask about hatching eggs. I wouldn't mind a high price too much because they live quite close, we could go pick up the eggs and hopefully get a pretty good hatch rate. Since they live so close, I think I'll go over and check out the birds myself rather than asking for photos. We'll see how it goes! $170 is just so much for such a fragile little thing. I have seen some photos of the rooster, he's very, very fluffy and has a very bright red comb. He has some golden yellow on him that she says is from sun/rain. I've had lavender birds, and it looks like a bit more than i've ever seen, but he's bigger, and has more fluff, than any bird i've ever had!
I would make sure the yellow is from the sun? this time of year there has not been enough sun to bleach the hackles.My lav's do not even get a yellow tint from the sun's bleaching,just a lighter lavender,just from that i would not purchase it.unless you need the bleed through for a project like a porcelain.JMO

Back
Top Bottom