The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

I have been pretty busy here - lots of personal items going on at the home front ...the next month will be tough....keep us in your prayers.

I have been reading and here is a suggestion that I used for the heat. When I built my pen I dug a hole and placed cider blocks half buried and then stacked them on top of each other and mortered them into create a wall. I then also use sand out of the fields here at the house to line the bottom of the pens. This does two things... the concrete draws moisture and the sand provides cooling. The sand from Lowes would work too... but I think field dirt works just as good and cheaper (free) if anyone has a field around.

I would have to say that if you just bought some cider blocks from Lowes and put them 3 to 4 inches in the ground at only 1 high... that would probably work. The idea here is to draw moisture. I built a 3 foot wall because that was the structure on the back part of my coop.

Next week will be a busy week!!! I have some eggs coming from Sandy and have got to get some birds moved around. Quite a few different breeds of Orps coming - but I will have to see what is laying well first...Gold Lace, Silver Laced, Partridge, Legbar, Choc x Black, etc.

Take care,
Richard

they are the cutest!!
Finally a nice day and the "chicks" are sunning everywhere!!
big_smile.png

gotta give you credit galiani..that is very inventive and caring.
I started using the pans last year during the drought. It would have cost me hundreds of dollars to keep an area wet and muddy!
wink.png

Another thing I so sometimes is, when they're on the roost and panting, I spray water on their tummies with a spray bottle. I know that's kind of crazy, or would be if you had tons of birds, but it does cool them down.

Renie: here are baby photos as promised:

I have found nothing makes friends faster then a bowl full of mealworms. Oh, and that is "mom" in the background...she is a bantam cochin. She is such a good mommy. These babies are already the same size as her practically. LOL.

Last edited:
Rebel Yell: Here are photos of the babies from you (ignore the orange one in back of any photos...LOL). Oh, I have found that mealworms helps to make fast friends.

Blue, splash and black (and golden comet - she doesn't count in these photos...lol).

Look at the lacing on the feathers...is this good? I think it is pretty.

No heads...but can see feather coloring:

Okay, that is probably enough for now.

Rebel Yell: Here are photos of the babies from you (ignore the orange one in back of any photos...LOL). Oh, I have found that mealworms helps to make fast friends.

Blue, splash and black (and golden comet - she doesn't count in these photos...lol).

Look at the lacing on the feathers...is this good? I think it is pretty.

They are looking reel good ! Looks like you got a good start with them, love the laceing, keep me posted on there progress, all of mine are in a hard molt right now & looking rough, Glad you like them.

Rebel Yell:  Here are photos of the babies from you (ignore the orange one in back of any photos...LOL). Oh, I have found that mealworms helps to make fast friends.

Look at the lacing on the feathers...is this good?  I think it is pretty.

Good lacing and great looking birds! Love the little cockerel standing proud hehe.

Back
Top Bottom