The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

Dee, if you look at pictures of champion orpingtons. Often the tail is same height as head.. not saying squirrel tailed which is different..it is part of type..it is supposed to be that way. Some varieties more so than others.

I will keep a sketch from a German line that I LOVE. I see color and my mind goes crazy. I love the challenge of color matching with my oils. I get distracted. A sketch will keep me focused. Thanks Lynne!

I am borrowing these photos to help with a visual for people trying to uderstand tail height in orpington breeds.and 1 lithograph.
These are all champion orps different varieties..I think Julie bama. Will recognise one as it is her breeding won in Denver..so Congrats to her
The rest are different breeders birds, this is just so people can see champion tail height..this is coveted part of the breed..it varies bird to bird how much..it is what makes them typy orp last pic belongs to our own resident Walt..

The tail depending on variety will be approx. Same height as head excluding squirrel Tail. which you can see. None of these classy birds have squirrel tail.

Last edited:
The tail angle according to the US standard should be 25 deg for males and 15 for females. In the UK there is no set angle for the tail, it just should be short and high but not squirrel tail.

The tail angle according to the US standard should be 25 deg for males and 15 for females.  In the UK there is no set angle for the tail, it just should be short and high but not squirrel tail.

Yes i Looked All Over For standard, Its Down at work..which winds up near head height Visually.
Sometimes it's just easier to see it.
I included a German blue champion as well..

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom