The Middle Tennessee Thread

Yeah for whoever packed it though!
Actually they weren't even double boxed and were just laying down in the box, blunt ends not up, which is my fault for not asking how they packed their eggs. So yes very surprised all eggs weren't broken. My husband and I wondered also if maybe the shipper actually even sent more eggs and they rolled out the slit in the side of the box.

I know that your not supposed to put straight manure on your garden, but does that include the being flakes from a deep bedding system? Can I put the wood flakes on the garden directly or do I need to let it compost first?

Rabbit poop can go straight on the garden.
Sheep and cattle manure gets composted for at least a year then used on garden.
Poultry manure gets put in a separate compost pile away from where we ever graze sheep. It is never used - many negatives with all the other better compost available.

Rabbit poop can go straight on the garden.
Sheep and cattle manure gets composted for at least a year then used on garden.
Poultry manure gets put in a separate compost pile away from where we ever graze sheep. It is never used - many negatives with all the other better compost available.

Well I do not now nor will I ever have sheep or goats. I have though just been dumping my used wood chips on my compost pile, am I in trouble now? Should I not be doing that? Am I not able to use that compart safely?

Quote:
People have been using chicken poop on gardens for centuries. As long as it COOKS and is composted you will be fine. My compost pile can't really cook without us adding a ton of grass clipping and we cant do that. We are trying to get away from pine shavings.... they don't compost easy at my place.
I have had people offer to clean my coops for the poop for their compost piles. LOL.

You use sand for litter don't you? I use a mixture of fine flakes and pine pellets. I love the pellets. They are compressed pine saw dust, they soak up and become nothing fast. I doubt mine is cooking either. I put so much food scraps in it and egg shells and such. My neighbor goes around in the fall and picks up leaf bags and stores then in his barn for later use.

You use sand for litter don't you? I use a mixture of fine flakes and pine pellets. I love the pellets. They are compressed pine saw dust, they soak up and become nothing fast. I doubt mine is cooking either. I put so much food scraps in it and egg shells and such. My neighbor goes around in the fall and picks up leaf bags and stores then in his barn for later use.

No sand for litter in brooders. I tried that for about 5 mins and it didn't work well.... stayed wet all the time. We are converting over to wire floors for ALL the inside pens. I use sand in the coops and nest boxes out back but not really like a litter just enough on the floor to make the poop easy to come up. I learned the hard way out back to NEVER use pine shaving. Makes a water barrier and water would just stand on it after a good rain. Not as big a problem since I put a roof on the runs.

With composting I read a thread on here and you need 2-3xs as much poop to pine shavings. That never happened. That is changing now. Might have too much poop to shavings.

On the way to Bonnies we stopped at the Flea Market (I saw chickens LOL) Doug was talking to this guy about his ducks..... in about 5 mins this guy almost had him buying DUCKS! He told him they were better bug eaters than guinea..... what do yall think... yes no????? He made me think guinea are bug specific eaters and ducks would eat anything..... is he right? I don't want ducks... they are really messy.

Back
Top Bottom