The Moonshiner's Leghorns

Nothing lays as good as the whites. Browns can come real close. Other colors can be all over the place. Some don't lay that well and in my experience any from show breeders lay the worse.
I really don't keep track of what i get a day or how many adult hens I have.
When I was hatching last summer id usually get at least 7 or 8 dozen a day.

Nothing lays as good as the whites. Browns can come real close. Other colors can be all over the place. Some don't lay that well and in my experience any from show breeders lay the worse.
:th

Do sell extra eggs to help pay for feed?

@The Moonshiner how many eggs do you get daily? Aren't Leghorns supposed to be really good layers? Or is that just hatchery stock white Leghorns?
My mom's fancy champion Anconas lay really well when they aren't broody or molting, which isn't often.

Do sell extra eggs to help pay for feed?
No I live in redneck central. Everyone here either has chickens or family that does.
Eggs don't sell well here and white eggs are really not sought out.
I would have to put in a lot of time and effort to hope for $1 a dozen.

My MF project includes hopes of 4 different patterns.
MF, red MF, MF with dominate white and Red MF with dominate white.
So basically the dominate white ones will look buff or red with mottling and full white tails.
I crossed the above hen with my best buff rooster then bred the best offspring together and back to the hen.
Ive got about 10 or 12 juveniles from this years hatch. Next spring all start mixing and matching to get finished or close to finished chicks of all 4 patterns then go from their.
The original hen is my only full MF at this time. She is a little heavy looking and her tiny comb kills me but she has yellow legs, white lobes, and lays white eggs. Thats an accomplishment for any MF leghorn out there.
Her pattern is striking so I tried to improve on her.
I think the boys show ive done well with better type and comb size. Now I just gotta get the pattern back and continue.
Now you see why I won't have any eggs for a bit still.
MF have been beyond a challenge. Ive had two set of them in the past that I scraped because of too many issues to correct.
giphy (1).gif

Back
Top Bottom