The Moonshiner's Leghorns

Yes it will work. The question is how long it will take.
I've bred it out and sometimes it can be done in a generation while other times it seems like you'll never get rid of it.
I'm doing it backwards right now and trying to breed for more of it.
Would help if you knew what the leakage is. I've seen black birds crossed with birchen or wild type where that pattern bleeds through. In that case you just need to breed that pattern out.
What I've mostly dealt with is black enhancers that end up missing. I did just like you described to get rid of leakage in those.
Thanks. He does seem to have a pattern to him...sorta kinda birchen, sorta kinda duckwing. Honestly his color is a hot mess but his temperament and personality is something I want to breed on. I'm not looking to show or breed to sell, just my own personal enjoyment. I won't get off topic about him in this thread, but if I end up with a couple of his half sisters (their sex is still up in the air as they are chicks) I will definitely hit you up for advice.

Leghorns are probably my favorite breed, great production with a semi-long tailed rooster and with a really attractive body style. I was wondering if the Columbia Pattern can be found in Leghorns. I have seen pictures but I have yet to find anyone who actually has them. I am also very ignorant on genetics and I wonder if its possible to make a Columbia pattern, Delaware pattern, or even black tail white with Leghorns. I would love to use Leghorns for making Red Sex Links.
I've also seen pics of both columbian and buff columbian leghorns but only from oversees.
IDK where you're from but ive never seen any, seen any pics of any or heard of anyone in the states with either columbian pattern leghorns.
Sure they can be made if you have the right genes. For columbian you need silver and for buff columbian you need gold.
I have buff, black tailed red and mille fleur that all carry the columbian gene.
Its just a matter of getting the right genes on one bird while also getting rid of the unneeded genes.
With a couple birds with the right genes and a couple of crosses and a ton of hatched chicks you can make about any pattern.

Let me go through it. Its really a simple one.
Cuckoo is the same gene as barred so barred works the same.
Only difference is cuckoo is barred on a fast feathering bird. The feathers grow faster so the barring isn't as clean and crisp looking.
So I'll just use the term barred since most people know what barring is.

Barring is just a gene. It can be put on lots of colors/patterns.
I wanted to add the barring to the silver duckwing pattern.
Of course that takes a silver duckwing bird and then a bird with barring.
Barring is sex linked (I think most understand how that works) so I put a barred rooster over silver duckwing hen.
Both patterns are silver based (in my project) so everything is going to be silver so no dealing with gold.
Barred is on extended black and duckwing is on wild type.
The F1 offspring are silver based with one copy of extended black and one copy of duckwing. The females are barred and males have one copy of barring.
Now I just crossed the offspring together.
Each parent has the opportunity to pass on the extended black or the duckwing.
The males have one barred gene and one nonbarred gene. So they have two choices of what gets passed on there. Barred or non.
The females have barring but they can only have one or the other if they have barring they're barred if not then they're not barred. They pass barring to all their sons but don't pass a gene to their daughters since its sex linked.
So the offspring have a 25% chance of getting two extended black genes. 25% chance at getting two duckwing genes or 50% of getting one of each.
So pullets can be black, black with barring, duckwing or duckwing with barring.
Cockerels can be single factor barred , double factor barred, single factored barred or double factor barred.
Now of course the blacks and the barred are going to be split between the ones that are true with two extended black genes and the ones that appear black but carry one wild type gene.
Make sense? Anyone that got lost let me know and we'll backtrack and get it straightened out.
I really love these type of posts.
:love

Last edited:
The blocking things mes

I really love these type of posts.
:love
That's the stuff that runs through my head constantly.
Problem is I can have a half dozen going on at once but the d@mn birds won't keep up.
Always waiting to see what hatches, waiting on them to grow up and start laying, waiting for winter to get over. etc etc.
So many ideas but always at the mercy of father time.

That's the stuff that runs through my head constantly.
Problem is I can have a half dozen going on at once but the d@mn birds won't keep up.
Always waiting to see what hatches, waiting on them to grow up and start laying, waiting for winter to get over. etc etc.
So many ideas but always at the mercy of father time.

I hear you about time. I just decided to embark on a brahma project, which could get interesting. I have my first generation chicks growing out. I'm working with lavender so this will probably take some time and several generations to get this done.

I hear you about time. I just decided to embark on a brahma project, which could get interesting. I have my first generation chicks growing out. I'm working with lavender so this will probably take some time and several generations to get this done.
Brahmas have some interesting patterns coming out. I think there's enough genes in the varieties now to do a lot of 8interesting things.
I've had a few brahmas and they all turned out horrible. From others experiences sounds like mine was not the normal but for me that's a once, twice, three times bitten fourth time shy breed.
Plus they're slow maturing so even more 2waiting time.
Love to see or hear what you got going on. I know if you say interesting that would mean interesting.

Brahmas have some interesting patterns coming out. I think there's enough genes in the varieties now to do a lot of 8interesting things.
I've had a few brahmas and they all turned out horrible. From others experiences sounds like mine was not the normal but for me that's a once, twice, three times bitten fourth time shy breed.
Plus they're slow maturing so even more 2waiting time.
Love to see or hear what you got going on. I know if you say interesting that would mean interesting.

I'm shooting for coronation :) I have my first gen crosses now, light brahma rooster bred to lavender brahma hens. The chicks are black. From here, I will cross the chicks together which theoretically will yield various things, but I want the lavender and lavender patterned silver columbian chicks to work with. Then I'll breed those back to the light again, and keep going this way. I'm figuring I'm looking at at least five generations to get them where I want them.

Here's one of the first gen crosses:

ItPkCXt8SywF7I4GVQpHQ8_pHukwaYjCspWeQ4wL-kHZ-iMzCg7vLxDXQc_UcAkMCao48yDY2f6sSG5pK4dSB9bj8IcnFOH_SVOyWwRqa0IsMB3eEGdng6FlZ_ydpLU4uwWNfypYrBgs2Fbzan_A0nqi5Jm4Q0TbpgDUY9YYuUpvOsKYjzQBWtAvOG0YuPwjgJBUB5UOQuQmbinnR29mr5Lcpzt6IKKkeFdWqMRQmTGFlawzTZ9uCeB9LPewz263GZL6GnXEEUmy6nkHAOqfM2BGtfft4WZuJ5dLh-m0MfCpitTWxVxFf_pQkEv4qqa4DLCVrOW4ZJjRNRF-Uhl2DWonDav1vzI4zgw5fxpKr_tzMTZoLWIx6VcFXrlg2YqRzlGjaUAjcURr_G0XRfAiTVoKcG6-wqV8ja9RHiL_inD2H_pMhPo7d9GqMCkf9n8Xl9-2EtivEpFLKyElHxzDkatcn_vxABrkJrya3o7Fp6DI3uLZO1M2mpO92B7nPrO81g0TAaq9lRM22Do_FSQNv_a33uaktgDm4hwmACxtsHqJnS402kVLHUlyEdu7MTXV-ZmNUt8rczSddIWhK_iuU7-p_clo95uxqQsvEUg=w993-h662-no

Lots of stuff lurking under that black.

I could accidentally end up with a ton of other color projects sprouting from this due to all the colors of chicks I might get crossing these chicks back together, so that's where the 'interesting' comes in.

Last edited:
Love the coronation pattern. I've thought about it myself but its still beyond even on the back burner as of now. I was thinking I should get the Columbians done first but knowing myself I'll be working on the simultaneously. Like said though those are a ways off still.
I know how those F1s are going to be. I did a lot with wanting cuckoo on different stuff. Of course most all my F1s were just cuckoo looking with a few blacks. It was funny my wife didn't get it to her I was just hatching a million of the same thing. Then after I started hatching the next generations I started get lots of different things. Her and the kids just couldnt get how I was getting all these different things from all these birds that all looked the same. Fun times.
I call those other things you'll get the spiderweb effect. Be careful cause it goes from the plan to plan A, plan B, plan C and next thing you know you're working on a dozen different patterns.
Sounds fun. Enjoy and share. I love projects.

Yes I'm wanting cuckoo silver duckwing and cuckoo gold duckwing that will be autosexing.
I have one cuckoo rooster that has always been very light. He mostly throws very light cockerels but his pullet offspring are typical.
I started with him for that reason.
This is the rooster....
View attachment 1463569
This is a typical rooster from my cuckoo line.... You can see he hasn't near the contrast with the hens as the other guy.
View attachment 1463575
Could that very light rooster have B^Sd instead of B?

Back
Top Bottom