The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

I'm glad to hear that we have someone that has experience with these things. Last time we talked about them all the feedback was negative.

Did you have a specific kind you could link?
I got them on facebook first and they all fell apart quickly. She sent me new ones that do not fall apart.

My pet chicken now sells her anti crow collars. They are like the anti crow operation--The boys are quieter and crow less but they still crow.

We cannot post about it but the anti rooster laws are not about noise. There is a fighting sport that chickens are involved in. The laws are about that "sport" and not noise.

Berkeley California allows roosters but they need be quiet enough to be below the noise ordinances. More places should be like that.

Well, I completely understand having laws in place to try to prevent that. I definitely have noise complaints in mind.

Well, I completely understand having laws in place to try to prevent that. I definitely have noise complaints in mind.
It is a terrible thing for sure.

The zero tolerance part is bad though. Heritage breeds like we have here are not used so the law should specify that and allow heritage breeds to be kept in a quiet way in town. Not allowing them hurts the movement to preserve those breeds that are in danger of going extinct.

The zero tolerance part is bad though. Heritage breeds like we have here are not used so the law should specify that and allow heritage breeds to be kept in a quiet way in town. Not allowing them hurts the movement to preserve those breeds that are in danger of going extinct.

That's worth fighting to change

I concur, Heritage breeds should be exempt. I fell head over heels for my Golden Spangled Hamburg I picked up this spring in place of an EE and she really got me hooked on the idea of breeding them. Thank goodness I'm rural enough that (technically) I can have as many roosters as I want but it's unfortunate that others who want to preserve a piece of history don't have that option.

Last edited:

I will never understand how a daytime rooster crow is any worse than traffic, dogs barking, cats who yowl or the loud and obnoxious noises we humans can make.

We cannot post about it but the anti rooster laws are not about noise. There is a fighting sport that chickens are involved in. The laws are about that "sport" and not noise.

Berkeley California allows roosters but they need be quiet enough to be below the noise ordinances. More places should be like that.

Cock fighting is common here... well, not here on our farm, but here in our state. ;-)
The 30+ cockerels I had in one pen until a week ago had crowing competitions. Ah, the advantages of living in the middle of nowhere. The only noise we have now is my two bulls every time a heifer comes in heat. One sounds like a bull but the other sounds just like a donkey... I swear I'm gonna put a muzzle on him. :-0

@armorfirelady

Remember we were talking about those earlier in October (the collars)?  I had brought them up as a possibility and there were several responses warning against using them.  Those posts are in this area:  https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...eeping-thread-ots-welcome/33760#post_14187638 

Seems we came to the conclusion that they were injuring and even causing death to roosters.

I will never understand how a daytime rooster crow is any worse than traffic, dogs barking, cats who yowl or the loud and obnoxious noises we humans can make.

Yes I remember the earlier conversation & my Roo is certainly quieter than neighbors dogs who bark incessantly or any lawn machinery. Who knew leaf blowers were so loud? Lol

Thanks ronott for your thoughts. Perhaps I may purchase one but I am going to talk to my neighbor first to see if she even hears him :)

My 2 oldest hens molting. They make me cold just looking at them. I told my mom she needs to knit them capes lol. But at least you can see the pin feathers finally coming in. :)

I found some information last night on "respiratory" symptoms that I thought I'd share here.

Those of you that hang around this thread much over the last year know that I am one that loves the study of nutrition - and nutritional deficiencies and their results. So whenever I'm looking for the cause of something I always read about how nutrition effects things and can actually be the cause of the symptoms rather than originating in bacteria or virus.

Several folks I've been conversing with have had some respiratory symptoms in their flocks lately.

So...I was looking into respiratory symptoms I found something I had not seen before......

I found that a Vitamin A deficiency can present almost identically with symptoms of many of the respiratory "diseases".

Quote: http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/166/vitamin-a-deficiency-nutritional-roup
Now isn't THAT interesting.....the same exact symptoms of some of the diseases that we all fear so much.....

Quote: http://www.hobbyfarms.com/media/livestock-and-pets/vitamin-a-deficiency-in-chickens.aspx.pdf
Vitamin A-deficient chickens develop a crusty material in the nostrils and eyelids, progressing to the accumulation of a
cheesy material. In the initial stages, it mimics respiratory diseases. Similar damage in the throat makes swallowing difficult.
Deficient chicks fail to grow, are severely depressed and die of organ failure. Adult hens experience a drop in egg
production, and breeding birds experience a drop in hatchability.

These are just a couple quotes that are from "easy-to-read" sources. There's plenty more that's very detailed but most folks don't like reading the kind of stuff I do
tongue.png

Anyhow...all this is to say that all health begins with HUSBANDRY and observation. Often what leads to a compromised immune system or symptoms is nutritional in it's ROOT and that's what we need to look for....the root of issues so that we can PREVENT rather than treat :D

Fermented cod liver oil (green pastures) is an excellent, bio-available source of NATURAL vitamin A. There are also synthetic vitamin A sources that could be used but aren't as healthy...but would be great in lack of something else. The synthetic can become toxic, however, in high doses whereas the natural sources don't.

Feeds come with a vitamin and mineral mix built in. HOWEVER... the vitamin A, D, and E are the first ones to deteriorate/oxidize and can be an issue with a feed that has been on the shelf for too long.

SO.... that was your short, nutrition lesson for the day :D
teacher-smiley-emoticon.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom