The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

Good morning LTay, what else are you going to be planting?
More okra and zipper cream peas. Then when the time comes a 100' row of King of the Garden pole Lima beans. More tomatoes for the fall canning crop. More summer squash and some winter squash when the time is right. Water melons early next month. Pumpkins mid July I think is the right time for me to plant them for pies for us and chicken feed too. Then late summer we will plant Mustard, collards, broccoli, cabbage and cauliflower. I may try Brussels Sprouts one more time too. We also have a tray of bell pepper seedlings that will be planted along with the fall tomatoes.

More okra and zipper cream peas. Then when the time comes a 100' row of King of the Garden pole Lima beans. More tomatoes for the fall canning crop. More summer squash and some winter squash when the time is right. Water melons early next month. Pumpkins mid July I think is the right time for me to plant them for pies for us and chicken feed too. Then late summer we will plant Mustard, collards, broccoli, cabbage and cauliflower. I may try Brussels Sprouts one more time too. We also have a tray of bell pepper seedlings that will be planted along with the fall tomatoes.

Wow, that's an impressive variety of vegetables! No wonder you're always out in your garden, that's a full time job. ❤️

My chickens have been locked in their runs for the last two days. We have a raccoon hanging around. I have a trap, but he hasn't tripped it.
Tuesday, Jim and I were about to leave to meet some of our kids at the Collin St. Bakery. I went out to get the flocks in. Got everyone in the littler run in, except one little rooster. Turned around to go to the big run, and an adult raccoon ran out and took off for the woods. I managed to lure the chickens in, except for one little hen. I threw some scratch into a sturdy little dog gazebo that I have, thinking my little rooster would go in there, so I could catch him. Meanwhile I caught my hen, little Red, and put her inside the run. Turned around to check on the rooster and the raccoon was in the pet gazebo. I ran and locked the raccoon in, got my rooster locked up, but we had to leave. I thought I'd deal with the raccoon when I got home. He managed to get out. He must of squeezed through the space around the door. Anyway, he is still around I'm sure, so the chickens are locked up and unhappy about it.
raccoons are very tricky! Opposable thumbs that can open stuff.

I’ve never had to deal with those but I’ve heard they can be a challenge. Hope you catch him soon! What will you do with him once he has been caught?

According to the news your current rainmaker may bring us a chance of rain over the next couple days. I hope it does!
I will probably have to shoot him. I hate to do so. I know they are intelligent, but I don't want to dump him somewhere, where he may not be able to find water of food.
It's my first experience with one in my chicken coop. I cannot believe he was more interested in the chicken feed than the chickens themselves.

raccoons are very tricky! Opposable thumbs that can open stuff.
My brother brought one home when he was a teenager. It was a pet that someone gifted him. The first night, it opened its cage, left his room, and broke a clock that my mother loved. He ended up donating the raccoon to a petting zoo.

Back
Top Bottom