The Old Folks Home

@dsqard

I was trying to take pictures this Saturday...and thought of you..... Simply because you set up your shots so perfectly, it makes them so pretty.

I was looking at a good view, couldn't figure out how to make it as nice as you would of.... But anyway, had to go camping with the kids, it was pretty, here is a picture.

I think my sourdough starter is finally starting to work. I've been making it for about 5 days now, and finally today I noticed that I'm getting bubbles. I think it took a bit longer to start since I didn't add anything except for flour and water. I've got about half wholegrain organic wheat flour, a quarter organic wheat and a quarter organic spelt. In a few days I might be able to make my first bread.

Wisher, usually the best presents I get from DH are ones I order too. I just ordered my birthday present from him. Surprise, more camera gear! ;-) I am researching how to do time lapse video using a camera and I need a specific digital shutter trigger. So DH "bought" me that, a larger memory card and a strap to secure the trigger to my tripod.
wee.gif

Alaskan those shots are pretty! I actually don't set up many of my landscape shots although I will wait for more interesting light. The fall shot was a happy circumstance yesterday. It was overcast but every now and again the sun would pop out from behind the clouds making the scenes pop. The best light to shoot in is what is known as the "golden hour". This is an hour or so around sunrise and same for sunset. Because the sun is low in the sky it makes for beautiful golden light. The other "trick" I use is the rule of thirds. Imagine a tic-tac-toe grid in your viewfinder. Try to align your interest point along the lines or at the intersecting junctions. It makes your pictures less "flat" if that makes sense.

Here's another interesting thing. Look at Alaskans two photos, and select which you like better.

Then take a look at these two pictures, and select which one you seem to prefer.

The photo on the right in both cases.
In both cases, the left picture sort of has horizontal lines going through it, and they leave a slightly dull feeling. The ones on the right have sort of a triangular shape formed in them, which often makes pictures seem more interesting.

Last edited:
I think my sourdough starter is finally starting to work. I've been making it for about 5 days now, and finally today I noticed that I'm getting bubbles. I think it took a bit longer to start since I didn't add anything except for flour and water. I've got about half wholegrain organic wheat flour, a quarter organic wheat and a quarter organic spelt. In a few days I might be able to make my first bread.

If you did not use milk, it will be a yeast culture. Sourdough requires milk to start.

Well, that's what I've got then. In Finnish, it would be referred to as a "root", a sort of wild yeast culture, often passed down through generations, much like in many other countries. My "root" is about 5-6 days old now, not very traditional.

If sourdough requires dairy to start, then what is it called if you use cranberries or apple or something?

I got impatient with mine and just took a bit of it and mixed it with some flour, salt and water. I'm going to try making another pot bread tomorrow. (Not that kind, bama). It will be interesting to see how it works out.

Ron, any thoughts on how to best preserve it? The best options seem to be to roll it to a really thin layer and let it dry and store that in a dark and dry place, or spreading it into the sides of a wooden bowl, or freezing it. I'm not that ecstatic about storing it in the fridge, last time I tried I found a really scary looking thing growing in there when I finally remembered it after six months. But any thoughts you might have would be most appreciated.

Well, that's what I've got then. In Finnish, it would be referred to as a "root", a sort of wild yeast culture, often passed down through generations, much like in many other countries. My "root" is about 5-6 days old now, not very traditional.

If sourdough requires dairy to start, then what is it called if you use cranberries or apple or something?

I got impatient with mine and just took a bit of it and mixed it with some flour, salt and water. I'm going to try making another pot bread tomorrow. (Not that kind, bama). It will be interesting to see how it works out.

Ron, any thoughts on how to best preserve it? The best options seem to be to roll it to a really thin layer and let it dry and store that in a dark and dry place, or spreading it into the sides of a wooden bowl, or freezing it. I'm not that ecstatic about storing it in the fridge, last time I tried I found a really scary looking thing growing in there when I finally remembered it after six months. But any thoughts you might have would be most appreciated.

The yeast comes from the grains and the bacteria comes from the milk, although it can come from your skin sometimes. The correct yeast and the correct bacteria works together to protect each other. The sour comes from the bacteria. It sounds like yours needs the bacteria and if it has the correct yeast then it will live and get going. If it is not the correct yeast, it will die.

One guy said that only grain yeast will work so the apple and cranberry cultures will die and look ugly or moldy.

I have been keeping sour dough in the fridge since 1982. I used to keep a start in the freezer and I have dried it. After drying it, grind it to a powder and keep in an air tight container. The problem with freezing and drying is that it will take a week or two to get it back up to having enough punch to raise the bread.

I have gotten old starter to start again. you need to work at it and remember to toss half of the starter each time you feed it. If you are concerned about waste, make pancakes out of what is tossed or put it into fermented feed.

Back
Top Bottom