The Old Folks Home

I should have said I haven't been on in 5 years. Since my wife died. Total I've been a member for 17 years. There are some I wonder about, though I don't know their BYC names. Sam from Deruyter. Tab from Rome, Speckled hen from Georgia, Claudia from Alabama, Sue from Alaska. I was also apart of the Granny Square Swap. Gramma Chick. Looking forward to making new friends and keeping the old.
It’s good to have you here! I hope you have a great time!

Good afternoon, or morning, depending on your time zone.

Gorgeous day here, and I have plenty to do outside and inside, so we'll see what I get done.

Hubby probably wishes we didn't have chickens so that I could go with him when he goes to NC, and could have gone with him to CO for a wedding.

He wants to go to Ireland, and go back to CO again, and other places. I will be staying home unless/until I get a chicken sitter. I cannot in good conscience leave the neighbor in charge of them, and he agrees, but has said, "You need to find a chicken sitter so you can go places with me."

A friend said, "Well, pack them up and take them to one of your online chicken friends!" ie, someone on BYC within 4 hours' drive. :lau She has no experience with chickens, and doesn't know the concept of quarantining them.

Good afternoon, or morning, depending on your time zone.

Gorgeous day here, and I have plenty to do outside and inside, so we'll see what I get done.

Hubby probably wishes we didn't have chickens so that I could go with him when he goes to NC, and could have gone with him to CO for a wedding.

He wants to go to Ireland, and go back to CO again, and other places. I will be staying home unless/until I get a chicken sitter. I cannot in good conscience leave the neighbor in charge of them, and he agrees, but has said, "You need to find a chicken sitter so you can go places with me."

A friend said, "Well, pack them up and take them to one of your online chicken friends!" ie, someone on BYC within 4 hours' drive. :lau She has no experience with chickens, and doesn't know the concept of quarantining them.
You need to find a young adult.

That "I have no place of my own, but am responsible " age group.

My kids have done that. Often the person has a dog, and/or lives in a neighborhood where the house shouldn't sit empty.

My kids LOVE doing it, they get their own house, nice and quiet, way fewer chores than at home.

I actually am not sure how much they get paid. :idunno I know it costs less than boarding a dog.

So... age 16 to 30 usually is what you are looking for...

@Sally PB oh one more thought.... if anyone within 5 blocks or so of your house has chickens... introduce yourself. If their chickens are well cared for...

Discuss doing vacation swaps! They care for your flock when you are gone, and you care for theirs when they are gone. Pick time limits, so you aren't taken advantage of.

Our next door neighbors do have chickens... the problem is the difference in management styles. I would not have a moment's peace if I left, worrying if my ladies were ok. Hubby has agreed that they should not take care of our birds, since mine mean a lot to me and theirs are... just chickens.

The neighbors next to them were my chicken sitters, but that's the "neighbor who had a heart attack" and she and her husband are not able to do it anymore.

Next down the road is the parents of the neighbors with chickens. Not going to stir that pot, don't want the conversation of why I'm not asking "the boys" to do it.

And the next neighbor is gone, often, a lot, for work, for travel. Like the week that was the wedding in Colorado.

After that, it's a long way to another house, and I don't even know the people who live there.

I don't mind not traveling. Home is my favorite place to be. This irks hubby more than it does me.

Our next door neighbors do have chickens... the problem is the difference in management styles. I would not have a moment's peace if I left, worrying if my ladies were ok. Hubby has agreed that they should not take care of our birds, since mine mean a lot to me and theirs are... just chickens.

The neighbors next to them were my chicken sitters, but that's the "neighbor who had a heart attack" and she and her husband are not able to do it anymore.

Next down the road is the parents of the neighbors with chickens. Not going to stir that pot, don't want the conversation of why I'm not asking "the boys" to do it.

And the next neighbor is gone, often, a lot, for work, for travel. Like the week that was the wedding in Colorado.

After that, it's a long way to another house, and I don't even know the people who live there.

I don't mind not traveling. Home is my favorite place to be. This irks hubby more than it does me.
Sorry :hugs

I'd be willing :)

IF that's something you ever truly need/want!

Back
Top Bottom