The Wally-Gee Bee Journey šŸ

Brood and capped brood here so I figure this was my best chance to see her.
Just something to be aware of, there's drone brood in the worker cells and a spotty brood pattern. This is sometimes a sign of a failing queen. Keep an eye on it and if it continues to get worse you will need to requeen the hive. They may even start supersedure cells. IMG_3847 (1).jpeg

Just something to be aware of, there's drone brood in the worker cells and a spotty brood pattern. This is sometimes a sign of a failing queen. Keep an eye on it and if it continues to get worse you will need to requeen the hive.
Can you recommend a place to buy a queen? Or would it be better to buy a queen from someone in my local club?

Can you recommend a place to buy a queen? Or would it be better to buy a queen from someone in my local club?
In MI, I would definitely go with https://www.sandhillbees.com/. I would start with all Meghan's queens and raise more from her stock. The reason I like local queens too is usually they are raised during the peak of the season and are well mated. If I was in Wally's area I would start with https://coybeecompany.com/. Or look for someone who raises queens from Coys stock.

1713110591533.jpeg
1713110591533.jpeg

Removed Apivar, flipped boxes, being a slicky boy and gave them a medium with foundation. Have a Medium with drawn comb once the flow kicks in. What you see outside is double inside. No Queen cells or cups (yet)

Last edited:
1713111644105.jpeg

All 20 frames look like this. I can easily turn this one hive into three after the flow. That's the syrup feeder board leaning against the hive which I put away. Coffee can for brace comb, top bar wax and any propolis. Blocks to the left are for a NUC coming in May. (My Mistake) :he Hedging my bet on winter kill, which I had none.

Just something to be aware of, there's drone brood in the worker cells and a spotty brood pattern. This is sometimes a sign of a failing queen. Keep an eye on it and if it continues to get worse you will need to requeen the hive. They may even start supersedure cells. View attachment 3800799

I noticed that sketchy pattern. I was semi concerned. Now that you mention it, Iā€™m definitely concerned.

I opened the new hive. Hubby is visiting his dad in NC, so I was on my own. This was the first time going in solo, so I was a bit nervous, and I didn't take any pictures.

This is what I saw.

Lots of bees. They had not finished the left over sugar in the feeder box, but there wasn't much left, so I added 4 pounds.

I saw a lot of bees with their heads in cells in the honey super. I don't know if they were taking honey out, or adding nectar. :confused:There are lots of trees blooming right now, and I did see some pollen going in yesterday.

I put the med box to the side and (deep breath) pulled a frame from the bottom deep box. I have 2 Apivar strips in, so I pulled a frame next to the strip. (#3 from the edge, as I have 8 frame boxes.) I saw a small amount of uncapped brood, a good pattern of capped. A few drone cells near the bottom.

This is what I didn't see.

The queen or a queen cell. By then, I was getting lots of bees flying around me, and a bit nervous because... well, I'm still very new at this and I'll say it: I'm intimidated by all the bees.

I didn't take out the Apivar strips, and I didn't want them to fall out, so I left those two frames alone, but those are the ones I probably need to look at. So, I'm assuming it would be ok to take the strips out, check the frames, and then put them back.

I wasn't looking specifically for mites, but I didn't see any.

They had not finished the left over sugar in the feeder box, but there wasn't much left, so I added 4 pounds.
Granulated sugar is good for emergency feeding in the winter. This time of year they will remove it. If you want them to draw comb and build up fast 1:1 or thinner sugar syrup will really help them along.
I saw a lot of bees with their heads in cells in the honey super.
Yes, when you smoke bees or just enter the hive it's normal for workers to fill their honey stomach in preparation to leave the hive.
I didn't take out the Apivar strips, and I didn't want them to fall out, so I left those two frames alone, but those are the ones I probably need to look at. So, I'm assuming it would be ok to take the strips out, check the frames, and then put them back.
Yes, the strips work by contact. So you can just take them out and put them back in when you're done inspecting the hive

The most important thing now is to open the hives and find out which one has eggs. Use a magnifying glass to look for eggs.
I wasn't looking specifically for mites, but I didn't see any.
You won't see them because they are attached to the underside of the bees. You may see dead ones on the bottom board.
pnas.1818371116fig01.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom