The Welsummer Thread!!!!

I had a gentleman offer to put some of his eggs under a broody. The chicks are about 7 weeks old and I got them this weekend. 1 roo and 3 pullets. One of the pullets is lighter, but not as light as yours, she is more reddish. She makes me think she might be a slow maturing boy. I will try to get pictures of her and some of my others around here!
smile.png

Happy Chooks, just beautiful girls!

And the one pic of your light girls, the seventh pic from the top, she looks like she has "blue" pigment than black or very dark brown on her tail and body. Looks blue partridge to me LOL!

Just lovely! Thanks for sharing!

Quote:
That's Cleopatra. I think it was just the lighting in the photo, because her tail is black. She does have the blue/slate underfluff, which I read is what welsummers are supposed to have?

Quote:
That's Cleopatra. I think it was just the lighting in the photo, because her tail is black. She does have the blue/slate underfluff, which I read is what welsummers are supposed to have?

Yep, they are supposed to have blue/slate fluff. I love Cleo!
love.gif

I purchased 2 welsummers this May, now they're pullets. All the pictures I've seen are red birds, mine are B&W. Is there a black & white strain? They came from NM or AZ...Don't have my camera right now or i'd post a pic.

Here are some pics. The first 4 are his eggs. The next one is of his birds and the last are of the chicks I have from him.

2011-03-25_12-32-49_310-2.jpg

2011-03-25_12-33-06_174-1.jpg

2011-03-25_12-33-34_818-1.jpg

2011-03-25_12-33-45_660-1.jpg

welsummerhenandroo.jpg

2011-07-12_14-37-26_99.jpg

2011-07-12_14-37-18_60.jpg

These I hatched from my eggs that I gathered after my flock was killed.

2011-07-12_14-39-04_683.jpg

2011-07-12_14-38-24_886.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
No, there is no black and white strain of Welsummers even people have been trying to attempt to "colorize" the Welsummers. There are two White colored so called Welsummer breeders but they are not accepted in the APA nor recognized as Welsummers either. Never saw any black ones either.

Did you buy them from the hatchery? If so, then they are inferior Welsummers or another breed altogether. Please do post pictures!

Taz.......those are nice eggs. Congrats on the trio - they change so much until they are fully grown. I'm going to have to get some blue cartons - it shows the eggs off well!
lol.png

Taz, in the last pic, either it is poor photo in a shade element, the middle pullet's color is wrong, she didn't seem to have that color like the one on your left. If she is poorly marked, you may need to cull her out of the breeding program into egg laying only or olive egger project.

Maybe some better photography would tell us more of the feathering details. However i LOVE the color on the older pair of Wellies!

Back
Top Bottom