Thick, clumpy egg yolk -- causes? safe to eat?

I just started having this issue with egg yolks that are clumpy or chunky. It is as if the yolk is soft boiled. You don't notice it just cracking the egg as everything looks fine, but when you try to scramble it, you realize the yolk is not liquid. More like peanut butter consistency. Not sure I buy the good nutrition argument as I think it would be a lot more common. I would guess most on this board feed their hens very well, yet really limited responses to this thread.

I know this is an old conversation but I found this to be helpful and it made sense to me since I have recently improved my hens diet and the yolks began to change with the improved diet. I almost threw two eggs out but decided to read a bit first. I was glad I did!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/330952/thick-yolk

"Good food causes it.
smile.png
Insects, foraged greens and whatever else they're eating. Plus, good quality feed in the feeder. I attribute our nearly-solid raw egg yolks to the hens getting enough of everything they need, including nutrient-dense fats, proteins, and greens. Keep doing what you're doing. Those yolks are a fabulous food for you!"
I also gulped down an egg I found amongst the rack that was very light when I handled it so I cracked it open an whoa! the yolk was almost solidified so I dumped it in a frying pan and fried it thick and all it was delicious! N soon after eating it I started asking myself why the heck was it so hard raw well, I would ask the hen that laid it later....or not..... BRENDA.

I’ve had the same issue with some of eggs too. All the hens are healthy and free rangers. They didn’t smell bad just really thick. They taste fine.

Back
Top Bottom