Thin shell and rubber shelled eggs

Ajoy1955

Songster
Jul 1, 2023
Greeneville Tennessee
I live in East Tennessee, and my two ,Silver Laced Wyandottes which will be 3 in August are starting to lay paper thin shelled eggs or rubber eggs… they have plenty of oyster shells in bowls around their run, and they are fed a nutritious complete layer pellets… in addition to that they have fresh water daily that I add 2 drops of oil of oregano to… what else can I do to improve the egg quality… I’m afraid these eggs will cause an egg bound situation! Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_5176.jpeg
    IMG_5176.jpeg
    745.4 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_3710.jpeg
    IMG_3710.jpeg
    477.6 KB · Views: 4
Give them calcium citrate orally. You can find it at WalMart. Give them each 630 mg per day for 7 days. One dose, 630mg, is two caplets. You can give one in the morning and one in the evening or both at once.
Calcium citrate is much more bioavailable than calcium carbonate which is what comprises oyster shell and what is added to feed.

Give them calcium citrate orally. You can find it at WalMart. Give them each 630 mg per day for 7 days. One dose, 630mg, is two caplets. You can give one in the morning and one in the evening or both at once.
Calcium citrate is much more bioavailable than calcium carbonate which is what comprises oyster shell and what is added to feed.
Can I sprinkle it over their afternoon fermented feed that they get daily ?

Long-term, you might also consider what their vitamin D levels are.
Vit D is very involved in the way Calcium is used in the body.

We had one member in Colorado who, despite flock access to sunny days, had an egg shell issue that they traced back to vit D.

It's possible therefore, that a flock closer to the equator could still have issues if they don't get enough hours of sunlight. And even when it's very hot in summer, the birds may need to avoid the sun for their temp regulation and not get enough.

I personally fall into that last category, avoiding the sun and doing chores at dusk and after dark, because of my pale skin that burns so easy... despite living in FL, my doc consistently finds me D deficient unless I take my supplement.

Yes, if you can't isolate the two with shell-less/thin shelled eggs and treat them separately.

Yes, if you can't isolate the two with shell-less/thin shelled eggs and treat them separately.
Unfortunately I am not able to separate, especially during this high heat dome … will it harm the other hens to have this if their eggs are perfect?

Back
Top Bottom