This is molting, right?

FunnyBunny89

Songster
Premium Feather Member
Apr 3, 2024
Hi friends! It's been a while since I've been able to hang out here. Busy times gearing up for winter.

Well, I got 4 new Brahma girls last Friday. 3 are young, but 1 is almost two years old and her previous owner said she's going through a hard molt right now. She's a beautiful mottled girl, and she and all the others look healthy. I just want to double check and get a second opinion here.

She's skittish, so I haven't been able to hold her and inspect closely yet, but she doesn't appear to show any skin damage or signs of lice or mites. I can get within a couple feet of her but that's it for now. I have her and her sisters in quarantine for the next week, and the lowest temp overnight is supposed to be 38 degrees Fahrenheit. We also get a lot of wind where we live.

This is molting, right? And should I be worried about her ability to stay warm?

Thank you so much for reading!

Attachments

• IMG_1285.jpeg
    IMG_1285.jpeg
    553.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1287.jpeg
    IMG_1287.jpeg
    640.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1288.jpeg
    IMG_1288.jpeg
    589 KB · Views: 6
Hi!

The wind won't bother them if their coop is draft free. If she's going to be in drafts, I'd fix that somehow.

If you're worried she'll be cold, especially if the temps dip lower than that and she loses more feathers, I'd put one of those radiant heat panels, like Cozy Coop makes in there so she could stand/lay by it if she's cold. Those are safe, don't get hot, and shut off if they tip.

She's pretty even if she's molting!

Hi!

The wind won't bother them if their coop is draft free. If she's going to be in drafts, I'd fix that somehow.

If you're worried she'll be cold, especially if the temps dip lower than that and she loses more feathers, I'd put one of those radiant heat panels, like Cozy Coop makes in there so she could stand/lay by it if she's cold. Those are safe, don't get hot, and shut off if they tip.

She's pretty even if she's molting!
Alright, thank you for the tips! She isn't in a coop yet, she's in an extra large plastic dog crate with a thick shade cloth draped over it to block the gaps. I'm considering putting her in the new coop tonight with the flock she's going to join, since her original flock seemed perfectly healthy, as does she. It just would be a short quarantine.

Back
Top Bottom