Thought she was egg bound, now I'm not so sure

3speckled3

Songster
5 Years
Jan 30, 2019
I have this 2 year old silkie hen that, until now, I was pretty sure she was egg bound. She has never had a problem laying eggs until recently when the cold weather really hit. I figured it was stress from the cold and set up the heat lamps for the pens.

Well, 2 days ago at about 7:15, I went out to check on the chickens and everything was fine. The only thing that seemed anywhere out of place was that she was not sitting on the roost with the other hens like she usually does. I noticed her standing in one of the corners with her feathers fluffed. I picked her up and placed her under the lamp, figuring she was just cold. She jumped out of my arms and made herself comfortable under the light. I didn't think much of it, since I needed to start heading to school, and left the pens.

That afternoon when I got home, I went back out to feed the chickens. I noticed that she was hiding back in the corner with her eyes closed. That's when I got concerned. I instantly picked her up and brought her inside. Examining her, I came to conclusion that she was egg bound. She was lethargic, had no appetite, refused water, and just laid around with her head tucked in her wing. I am also pretty sure I felt an egg in her vent. She also had this yellow diarreah that smelled absolutely rancid. I checked her for symptoms regarding other ailments, such as a swollen comb, red spots, mites, ect. I found none of the above.

I have had an egg bound hen before (about a year and a half ago), so I already knew what to do. I cut up a tums and fed it to her piece by piece, got her to eat some grain, and made sure she drank plenty of water. I also crushed up a tums and put it in her food in case she felt like eating. Next I ran her a warm bath with some epsom salt and let her lay in that for about 20 minutes. After drying her off, I took some vegetable oil (I didn't have vaseline, but I read that it works the same) and put it on and in her vent. I waited a few hours and nothing happened, so I lifted her over some steam for a bit, fed her a little bit more, and waited over night.

Yesterday came around and she was still not better, but she was a little more active. I felt around again and, pretty sure I still felt an egg, repeated the process from the day before. I checked her for other symptoms again and, once again, found nothing. I kept a constant watch on her, hoping that she would She had not pooped that day so I began to get really concerned. I was afraid of losing her.

Today is now the third day she has been like this, and I am starting to doubt if she is actually egg bound. I read that egg bound hens cannot poop, but she's been pooping a lot all day. It's not unusual poop, either. It's the ordinary brown chicken poop. However, she is still acting sick. I wonder if there's something I'm missing?

I don't know if this is important information but, she's been living in a pretty roomy pen with 3 other hens. All 3 of them are her grown up chicks and she is really close with them. The pen is connected to an open top dog house with nesting boxes located inside. I usually feed my chickens a diet of whole corn, scratch grain, oyster shell, and scraps. I don't give them the scraps unless I am 100% sure that everything is safe for my chickens. Recently, though, I ran out of oyster shell and have been planning to get more. Until then, I've been trying to find other calcium foods to give them.

I am really concerned about her and I don't want to lose her, so if anybody knows what's going on, please help!

I don't know what could be wrong with your chicken but I have concerns about what you are feeding her and wonder if it might be a nutritional deficiency of some kind or even fatty liver disease.
She needs to be fed a balanced diet with a minimum of 16% protein and appropriate vitamins and minerals. The mix you listed will not meet those needs.
How big is the pen she shares with the others? How much excersise do they get?
Pictures of her and her droppings will also help.

Welcome to BYC. Sorry about your silkie. She might be suffering with a reproductive disorder, such as salpingitis or internal laying. The foul smelling yellow poop may have been a cecal poop. Have you inserted a finger into her vent to check for an egg, or have you felt something firm through her skin? She doesn’ t sound egg bound, but sick.

She and the others need to eat a complete chicken layer feed with 16% protein, or an all flock or flock raiser feed that is around 20% protein. Layer feed has the calcium for eggs, but they need to still have the oyster shell, especially if using the flock raiser.

Corn and scratch are not complete balanced feeds, and have only half of the protein needed to lay eggs. Whole corn can also cause crop and gizzard problems, so corn needs to be ground. They don’t need corn or scratch, but it can be given as a small treat once in a while.

Welcome to BYC. Sorry about your silkie. She might be suffering with a reproductive disorder, such as salpingitis or internal laying. The foul smelling yellow poop may have been a cecal poop. Have you inserted a finger into her vent to check for an egg, or have you felt something firm through her skin? She doesn’ t sound egg bound, but sick.

She and the others need to eat a complete chicken layer feed with 16% protein, or an all flock or flock raiser feed that is around 20% protein. Layer feed has the calcium for eggs, but they need to still have the oyster shell, especially if using the flock raiser.

Corn and scratch are not complete balanced feeds, and have only half of the protein needed to lay eggs. Whole corn can also cause crop and gizzard problems, so corn needs to be ground. They don’t need corn or scratch, but it can be given as a small treat once in a while.
Hi, I understand your concerns about what I am feeding her. I would like to mention again that they do get daily scraps. These scraps consist of a variety of fruits and veggies. They also get alive earth worms and dried mealworms as treats. I am only in high school and I am feeding them how my parents taught me. I am still sort of new to raising chickens on my own since my parents left it up to me (I probably should have mentioned that above). If you have any reccomendations, though, they would be greatly appreciated.

I did not insert my finger into her vent as I did not have a glove. I did feel something very hard near her vent though. That is how we tested our last ill hen and discovered that she was actually egg bound.

There is so many possibilities. Please post a picture of the silkie. It may help us be of assistance.
I could not catch any good pictures of her right now because it is night time and my house has poor lighting, making her look dark and covered with shadows. I will try to catch some better ones tomorrow when there is some natural light. However, here is the best picture I could get of her droppings. This is what I saw when I got home today. It is a bit liquidy, but it is a normal color.
20190130_202030.jpg

I understand. Many of our grandparents and great grandparents fed chickens only corn, or scratch or table scraps, and they free ranged. Today most people use a balanced pellet or crumble feed appropriate for age. Here is a some reading about feeds:
https://www.tractorsupply.com/know-how_pets-livestock_chicken_chicken-feeding-and-nutrition

The droppings look runny, and that can be common in reproductive disorders. If you have a little plain yogurt give her a spoonful daily for probiotics.

I understand. Many of our grandparents and great grandparents fed chickens only corn, or scratch or table scraps, and they free ranged. Today most people use a balanced pellet or crumble feed appropriate for age. Here is a some reading about feeds:
https://www.tractorsupply.com/know-how_pets-livestock_chicken_chicken-feeding-and-nutrition

The droppings look runny, and that can be common in reproductive disorders. If you have a little plain yogurt give her a spoonful daily for probiotics.
Thanks for the advice! I do not have any yogurt at the moment, but I will pick some up as soon as I can tomorrow. I will also check out some new feed for my chickens. I only want the best for them!

Sorry in advance for the lengthy response..If she was laying normally at some point, and only two years old, I don’t think she is egg bound. Ive has two egg bound birds. The first was a Cochin that had trouble laying her first egg. We could see the protruding from her vent like a head that cannot find the shirt hole. She was egg bound for 48 hours and I panicked nearly every hour of it. I took her to a vet where she was able to crush the egg internally and remove the shell particles.this didn’t stop the problem. She still didn’t have the opening to lay an egg on her own. 48 hours passed and the next egg was protruding. Same situation as the first. It was euthanize or excise. I was advised by an experienced breeder to carefully incise the egg out. We did. I almost passed out doing it but we got the egg out whole. Treated her with antibiotics and after a week of recovery she lived another 16 months and laid off and on.

My second egg bound bird became egg bound while she contracted coccidiosis from a flockmate. she became so weak from the parasites she could not contract her abdomen to move the egg and it was very very noticeable as she would be in the laying upright squat position with a wince on her face. I treated her with intensive care.. antiobitcs and corrid 2x per day. PLENTY of drip water on her beak to stay hydrated during her illness. Just like a human, she was sweating puddles. You have to keep them hydrated! And with pedialite to. After 72 hours, one morning I saw the egg right next two her. she was recovering and was able to pass the egg. This was all on the advice of a reputable avian vet.

It is important to treat the illness ASAP. Yellow poop is a strong symptom of coccid. I would treat with antibiotics and corrid ASAP. Plus drip water from syringe.

Please PM me if you need more details.

Hi there. I am concerned the mass that feels like egg could be lash egg material, which would be indicative of salpingitis. Can you post a photo of her body language? Last summer J had a hen who seemed to be in a fair amount of pain, and the general consensus was that it was an oviduct infection. She recovered with a two-week course of amoxicillin.

I know you came here for help and don’t want to criticize, but I would like for you to be aware that the diet is a big concern, as indicated by other BYC members. This may or may not be the root of her problem. My recommendation would be to move forward and change the diet as soon as you can by switching to a balanced crumble or pellet. In the mean time, adding protein treats (egg, tuna, etc.) would be good. Greens like chopped kale and/or fresh sprouts are nutritious, too. Is the oyster shell always available free choice, meaning available all the time in its own separate dish? Good luck and please keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom