Thread formerly known as Hatch day is today

Hi girls!!!!

So cool to see my friends! Hey Julia, iain, and GQ!

I have babies coming out of my ears, more or less. Lots of goslings from the bators, plus 3 goosie girls on nests, plus my ancona girl is on a nest, and I'm hatching out lots of Javas and some BCMs.
woot.gif
frow.gif
Hey Marty!!! Lots of babies there it sounds like!
I totally get hating the selling factor. So, they had car trouble and showed up soon after I whined about them not being here. Made a $32 sale, so not going to complain. Then the family with the 7 kids came and bought a chick for each kid.

I got plants and potting soil for mothers day. Not exactly a luxury gift, but I had fun transplanting them into the garden today.
It took me many hatches in order to finally learn to not get too emotionally invested in them until they hatched. If I lose a hatchling, I still cry like a little girl.
You give me goose egg envy.
Marty!!!!

I've got quite a few birdies and quite a few full bators. Waiting on some shipped Saxony eggs to pop, a few Pilgrim goose eggs for a friend and a couple random chicks from free eggs.

Good to see some of the regulars popping in!
Lol, I got the same mother's day present. Plus hubby went to help his mom paint and took 2 of the kids leaving me with only one "helper", so I actually even got to get them planted.
yesss.gif

candled this morning... total loss...
sad.png

got chicks hatching this morning and 6 goslings chilling in the brooder
love.gif
hit.gif
All those poor egglets. Yay for the cuties you did get though, and for them trying to make it right.
If the veins have disappeared, they are probably dead. At this point, though, the eggs should be so full of duckling that it would be hard to see anything. Do you see any movement?

Eggs internally "pip" (break through the membrane into the air cell and then externally "pip" (break through the egg shell). Have you read the incubation guide that's at the top of the duck "sticky" section? It's full of good info that I think would answer a lot of your questions.
x2, great info

candled this morning... total loss...
sad.png

got chicks hatching this morning and 6 goslings chilling in the brooder
love.gif
hugs.gif

update just talk to one of the owners of incubator warehouse and they are taking care of this with no problems and considering discontinuing the thermostat
I'm glad they're trying to do right by you. I know it won't replace all your egglets, but at least they're trying.

I'm also glad I didn't do the digital upgrade on my cabinet. I had considered getting their kit.
ok I was told to post my questions here, and that I would get responses faster! So here it goes, One of our Ducklings hatched early, and He's doing ok as of right now. But while it was in the incubator it flopped around in the incubator all night and rolled the eggs all over the place. :/ I'm worried that it might of killed the other ducklings. is this ok?? One seems to move but the others are not moving anymore. and also how long can they go over their hatch date?? Its been about 30 days. and they were all moving when the one hatched but now they are not all moving anymore! PLease help if you know anything!!! very worried! Thank you!
It's normal for them to kick the other eggs around a bit. Check out the Metzer Farms Hatchcam sometime. They hatch huge batches and never intervene.

I usually candle on day 30 to see if there's any slowpokes left. Did you start counting the day you set them or the day after? 24 hours makes a huge difference.

Deep breath, try not to panic.

I think one of my Saxony babies is either blind or has neurological issues. It never closes its eyes and keeps getting them caked up with bedding and other ick. When I clean the eyes out, the baby shows no evidence of being able to see.

It can walk and preen, but I don't think its finding the food or water. It keeps trying to drink the eyedrops when I clean its eyes and it'll drink clumsily when I dip its bill in water.

Any input?

OMGOSH!!! i am SO glad i listened to you guys!!! my egg with free air cell is OK!!! i still have it propped and he is a little behind the rest in growth but the air cell looks just like it should!! i am so glad i didn't take it out! i did lose one tho i think.... it doesn't look like its growing and i only see movement when i roll the egg, it doesn't stink so i will leave it until it does or until i know for sure. so day 19 and 10 of 15 eggs still look good and growing!!! temp hangs around 99.5 - 100.5 and humidity is 43% to 52%. also... i read on a thread here about poking a hole into the aircell when i lay them down for lockdown?? anyone do this for calls? also, at lockdown humidity goes up to 65% to 70%? i think i've even read 85% but that seems a little muggy to me, but what do i know? that's why i stalk this page and ask advice! lol.....

I think one of my Saxony babies is either blind or has neurological issues. It never closes its eyes and keeps getting them caked up with bedding and other ick. When I clean the eyes out, the baby shows no evidence of being able to see.

It can walk and preen, but I don't think its finding the food or water. It keeps trying to drink the eyedrops when I clean its eyes and it'll drink clumsily when I dip its bill in water.

Any input?
poor little guy!!

OMGOSH!!! i am SO glad i listened to you guys!!! my egg with free air cell is OK!!! i still have it propped and he is a little behind the rest in growth but the air cell looks just like it should!! i am so glad i didn't take it out! i did lose one tho i think.... it doesn't look like its growing and i only see movement when i roll the egg, it doesn't stink so i will leave it until it does or until i know for sure. so day 19 and 10 of 15 eggs still look good and growing!!! temp hangs around 99.5 - 100.5 and humidity is 43% to 52%. also... i read on a thread here about poking a hole into the aircell when i lay them down for lockdown?? anyone do this for calls? also, at lockdown humidity goes up to 65% to 70%? i think i've even read 85% but that seems a little muggy to me, but what do i know? that's why i stalk this page and ask advice! lol.....
call because of their size require a little bit different at hatch.... hopefully JulieNKC or some of the others with experience will chime in.

OMGOSH!!!  i am SO glad i listened to you guys!!! my egg with free air cell is OK!!! i still have it propped and he is a little behind the rest in growth but the air cell looks just like it should!! i am so glad i didn't take it out! i did lose one tho i think.... it doesn't look like its growing and i only see movement when i roll the egg, it doesn't stink so i will leave it until it does or until i know for sure. so day 19 and 10 of 15 eggs still look good and growing!!! temp hangs around 99.5 - 100.5 and humidity is 43% to 52%. also... i read on a thread here about poking a hole into the aircell when i lay them down for lockdown??  anyone do this for calls? also, at lockdown humidity goes up to 65%  to 70%? i think i've even read 85% but that seems a little muggy to me, but what do i know? that's why i stalk this page and ask advice! lol.....

Yayy! I dont know about calls but my little ones were at about 70 but it went up to around 80 when hatching but they were fine. I poked a hole in a couple as they were shrink wrapped and I had to help them out abit. So I only put a hole as they were struggling but I don't know if you have to do that with calls regardless.

Any input?

Aw poor ducky. Sounds like it may be. Do its eyes look hazey?

Last edited:
I wouldn't poke a hole when you lockdown, they'd probably shrinkwrap. I do 70% for the humidity and don't lockdown until I have internal pips. Then if they've internal pipped and not made any progress for over 24 hours they get a hole poked.
My blind baby got a little extra attention and a little bit of dropper feeding this evening. Positive vibes for the baby appreciated.
fl.gif
Hopefully it gets up and moving and figuring things out soon.

Yayy! I dont know about calls but my little ones were at about 70 but it went up to around 80 when hatching but they were fine. I poked a hole in a couple as they were shrink wrapped and I had to help them out abit. So I only put a hole as they were struggling but I don't know if you have to do that with calls regardless.
Aw poor ducky. Sounds like it may be. Do its eyes look hazey?
One of the eyes has that whitish sheen. Baby had one eye open and the other caked with bedding again this morning. I'm giving it all the love and attention I can, but things don't look so good since the other hatchling passed while I was at work. Shipped eggs...
he.gif

I wouldn't poke a hole when you lockdown, they'd probably shrinkwrap. I do 70% for the humidity and don't lockdown until I have internal pips. Then if they've internal pipped and not made any progress for over 24 hours they get a hole poked.
fl.gif
Hopefully it gets up and moving and figuring things out soon.
I certainly hope so. I've been trying to build a flock of Saxonies for over a year now and not having much luck with them.

Back
Top Bottom