Tips on introducing day old chick to water and food?

I buy "day-old" chicks from a hatchery. They send them to me in the mail. They ship them the day they hatch, but I don't get them until two or three days later. They don't eat anything until I get them, and they are fine. This is possible because, as others are telling you, they can survive on the nutrients of the yolk during this time. You don't need to feed and water your chick right away. Your broody hen will take care of them. She can continue to sit on the eggs until it's time to feed the chicks that have hatched. Then, even if some have not hatched, she will leave the eggs and take the chicks to food and water. She knows what she is doing. Let her do it.

I buy "day-old" chicks from a hatchery. They send them to me in the mail. They ship them the day they hatch, but I don't get them until two or three days later. They don't eat anything until I get them, and they are fine. This is possible because, as others are telling you, they can survive on the nutrients of the yolk during this time. You don't need to feed and water your chick right away. Your broody hen will take care of them. She can continue to sit on the eggs until it's time to feed the chicks that have hatched. Then, even if some have not hatched, she will leave the eggs and take the chicks to food and water. She knows what she is doing. Let her do it.
Thank you so much for the reassurance!

Back
Top Bottom