To broody, or not to broody...

Fallenone05

Crowing
8 Years
Oct 7, 2015
SE Oklahoma
I have a hen that's being broody, but not broody. She's a splash Brahma as far as I know.

She tidbits the other adult chickens over to her and finds scraps of food.
She does that higher-pitched momma cluck as she's walking around the yard.
She squawls at me if I get too close and fluffs up.

But she's not sitting eggs.

I might have messed her up, testing her to see if she was legit. But with other broodies I've had, just removing them from the nest never deters them and they run back, even if I carry them across the yard and away from the coop. She sat in the nest for an evening until I took her off the nest and put her on the roost, now she has no interest in sitting on the nest.

I don't think there's any viable way to break her broody behavior since she's not sitting, right?

She might be partially broody or thinking of going broody, but not completely there. It could go either way. If she ends up not going broody, then there's nothing you need to do - and if she does go broody, you can then break her or let her set and hatch.

She might be partially broody or thinking of going broody, but not completely there. It could go either way. If she ends up not going broody, then there's nothing you need to do - and if she does go broody, you can then break her or let her set and hatch.
Yes my hen did similair things. She titbitted and did the typycal broody cluck cluck (lol) and plucked her feathers but it took her a while to go broody

Are you going to make a hatch along?

Her eggs have hatched and she has three lil babies following her around!

I'm horrible at documenting 😂 I've considered but I forget to do things or forget to upload images. The individual chick pictures are shortly after hatch (the black one is actually from Atwoods that she adopted as the two blond ones knocked an egg out from under her and it died from getting too cold).

The picture of them behind her is after a week. I need to get two week old pictures of them since they'll be 2 weeks on Wednesday. They're getting so big already. 😭

Attachments

• IMG_20210825_190313.jpg
    IMG_20210825_190313.jpg
    883.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20210818_125348~2.jpg
    IMG_20210818_125348~2.jpg
    320.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20210818_200806~2.jpg
    IMG_20210818_200806~2.jpg
    573.1 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom