too early, but mostly cockerels?

Ehh, just because a comb is red doesn't mean cockerel... but a lot of people here will confidently tell you so.

Take *every* bit of feedback here with a grain of salt and consider the source. It's just people, seeing photos and more often than not, people are wrong <3

The wiser posts I've seen are people who've been keeping chickens for decades and they mostly just say "you really can't tell whose a pullet or roo until they either start laying, or they don't" (when it's hard to tell for sure) and I'll go with the wise keepers for that.

Ehh, just because a comb is red doesn't mean cockerel... but a lot of people here will confidently tell you so.

Take *every* bit of feedback here with a grain of salt and consider the source. It's just people, seeing photos and more often than not, people are wrong <3

The wiser posts I've seen are people who've been keeping chickens for decades and they mostly just say "you really can't tell whose a pullet or roo until they either start laying, or they don't" (when it's hard to tell for sure) and I'll go with the wise keepers for that.
Good advice! I think I will send all feather samples off for dna testing on my unknowns. Thats probably pretty certain too!

Thanks, definitely agree with you there! Tend to be a little impatient though, it's all part of the fun of raising chicks. Here's hoping!

Thank you for all of the early photos! Everyone always says “it’s too early to tell.” And sometimes it is, but a lot of times it isn’t!
no problem! I figure I should probably include some updates in case anyone wants to know what these babies turned out to be, it's still hard for some but most of them are pretty obvious!

IMG_0030.jpeg

Black Copper Marans #1 (Saiph)
~ Pullet
IMG_0042.jpeg

Black Copper Marans #2 (Nekkar) ~ Pullet
IMG_0035.jpeg

Black Copper Marans #3 (Edmund)
~ Cockerel
IMG_0037.jpeg

Splash Ameracauna #1 (Larch)
~???
IMG_0054.jpeg

Splash Ameracauna #2 (Yew)
~???
IMG_0012.jpeg

Easter Eggar #1 (Edith)
~ Pullet
IMG_0025.jpeg

Easter Eggar #2 (Polaris)
~ Cockerel ( I'm starting to see pointed saddles already, matching his wing patches )
IMG_0021.jpeg

Olive Egger #1 (Eros)
~ Pullet
IMG_0038.jpeg

Olive Egger #2 (Pyche)
~Cockerel

These are all gorgeous!!

I think I have a twin of Polaris, but only a baby right now :)
View attachment 3911579
A TSC "Americana" which is Easter Egger haha

Will you be keeping them all?
So cute!! I'll be keeping all the pullets and at least one of the cockerels but I can't keep them all because I already have 2 roosters and there won't be a big enough hen/rooster ratio. It's a shame, I especially love Edmund, Larch ( definitely a cockerel now, (pointed saddles ) and Pyche but I can't keep all three. Polaris has a home though, with a friend of mine. So that's one less of the 5/6 that I'll probably have to part with. ( it's more than the actual cockerels on here because i have 2 that are a few weeks older than the rest not posted here ).

Thanks for updating this thread! Too many get abandoned and it's frustrating when trying to compare against your own birds :D

I am amazed that the Marans ended up with 2 pullets and only 1 cockerel... I would have guessed they were all cockerels based on the size of those combs at 2 weeks! It gives me hope for my mixed-breed flock. A few of them are getting combs in at the 2-week mark and I was thinking 'Oh no, not another set of cockerels!' - I didn't have the best luck the first time around 6/9 ended up being Roos lol!

Plenty of Chicken dinners for all the family, but no breakfast eggs!

So cute!! I'll be keeping all the pullets and at least one of the cockerels but I can't keep them all because I already have 2 roosters and there won't be a big enough hen/rooster ratio. It's a shame, I especially love Edmund, Larch ( definitely a cockerel now, (pointed saddles ) and Pyche but I can't keep all three. Polaris has a home though, with a friend of mine. So that's one less of the 5/6 that I'll probably have to part with. ( it's more than the actual cockerels on here because i have 2 that are a few weeks older than the rest not posted here ).
That’s why caponizing is so nice. The beloved birds get to live long and happy lives in their home. Get an expert caponizer and the surgury takes less than 2 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom