Topic of the Week - What do you do with all those eggs?

Pics
I’m just at the beginning of ever owning chickens and none are of laying age yet.

My MIL who is homesteading (and what we are also slowly accomplishing) she will freeze her excess eggs. You simply crack them into a freezer safe bag and then use them as you need!
There might be more to it as far as thawing process goes so maybe do a little more research before taking my limited advice!

View attachment 2680976

As we all know eggs are a welcome benefit of keeping chickens, but sometimes, especially after chicken math hits and the flock grew, some of us may have the wonderful dilemma of having a few too many eggs! I'm curious to hear what you all do with your chickens' eggs. Especially the extra ones.

Pic by @chicken pickin

For a complete list of our Topic of the Week threads, see here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive
We give away whatever we don’t eat

View attachment 2680976

As we all know eggs are a welcome benefit of keeping chickens, but sometimes, especially after chicken math hits and the flock grew, some of us may have the wonderful dilemma of having a few too many eggs! I'm curious to hear what you all do with your chickens' eggs. Especially the extra ones.

Pic by @chicken pickin

For a complete list of our Topic of the Week threads, see here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive
Oh my gosh do I get a lot of eggs. Just about 2 dozen a day! I give some to my grandma, my uncle sometimes, and every wons in awhile our neighbor up the road. Or my hens will got broody and I'll have eggs to hatch. When lots are broody at the same time I have less eggs, like right now I have about 13-14 broodies. My bantams love to hatch babies!

Once my flock increased and my hatching obsession waned, I started giving extra eggs to my sister next door cause she’s the best sister in the world and puts up with my sometimes over abundance of roosters. I give them to friends that could use a smaller grocery bill and I make creme brûlée, pavlova, lemon custard, Norwegian crepes, deviled eggs, egg salad, blah blah blah so many egg things, I really want to make some flan.
I just hatched some really cute chicks and lost a couple of my favorite young hens to a fox and I may just get another incubator after their eggs hatched, cause they are fricken cute and some of those hens sisters look pretty similar. I live in an isolated town so my chicken selection is limited but I feel like I won the lottery with some of the chicks I’ve hatched from them. I think they’ve got a little OEG, some silky, AC, barred rock, and many more
63354EFF-C6C5-46E1-976C-9B4FA29B1FCB.jpeg

Eat fresh eggs! But I'm also trying water-glassing with all the extra eggs this year. Never tried it before but it's so easy. I already have a 2 gallon jar of eggs saved up for winter. Hopefully it works!
https://homesteadingfamily.com/preserved-eggs-water-glassing-eggs-for-long-term-storage/
It does work, for personal use at least. I would never sell water-glass eggs to my "fresh eggs" customers though. Best use is probably for long range planners that might be able to anticipate not being able to get chicks started when you want too. Like if there's another plandemic or something.

Back
Top Bottom