Topic of the Week - What do you do with all those eggs?

We have a standing order for 60 dozen a week split between three chefs and sell them at $7/ dozen, we also bring about 20 dozen to each farmers market per week (we go to two, Wednesday and Saturday) the only eggs we eat are cracked
I tried to sell mine to a pizza shop at 6 for doz and a half and he's like no I'm cheap I'm like really...

I put all the extra eggs in a 9 by 13-inch pan and tap them with a hammer until there all broken up and then cook them in the oven and then feed them to the chickens in the morning instead of feed

We have a standing order for 60 dozen a week split between three chefs and sell them at $7/ dozen, we also bring about 20 dozen to each farmers market per week (we go to two, Wednesday and Saturday) the only eggs we eat are cracked
$7/doz., wow! I tried selling to a local restaurant and he wouldn't touch them. I think he's tried it before and got eggs that weren't er ... exactly ... fresh. If you know what I mean. 🙄

View attachment 2680976

As we all know eggs are a welcome benefit of keeping chickens, but sometimes, especially after chicken math hits and the flock grew, some of us may have the wonderful dilemma of having a few too many eggs! I'm curious to hear what you all do with your chickens' eggs. Especially the extra ones.

Pic by @chicken pickin

For a complete list of our Topic of the Week threads, see here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive
I give away eggs to greet new neighbors or's in our RV park. I also take them to the park's office where anonymous donations may be made on the honor system. The manager encourages every one to take them donation or not. I wanted that from the beginning. I've also donated to our local soup kitchens.
I love eating eggs for breakfast anytime as French toast, deviled eggs, in a sandwich or whatever.
Excess eggs I've waterglassed have lasted over a year with little loss. I've tried pickling them, but find we don't care for them. I've beaten up raw eggs and froze them in ice cube sized portions for cooking. I'd really like to freeze dry them but the dryer cost is prohibitively high.
I also feed eggs & shells back to my flock.
I do like trying out new ideas and am hoping to find some here.
Later!

I mostly eat them, sell them or hatch them, but for the ones I don't I usually feed to my dogs. I feed them whole and raw and they eat them shell and all. I also save all of the shells from the eggs I eat to go into my garden under my plants (we lack calcium in my soil) to help with blossom end rot. If all else fails, there's always the option to feed them back to the birds (I feed mine back raw in egg form, it doesn't cause egg-eating, contrary to popular belief. My chickens won't touch an egg unless I crack it first, even if I toss it in their pen. If I don't crack it they don't touch it.) or to compost them. They're perfect nutrition for your chickens, and great for your soil too.
I do the same feed back, too. My girls won't touch them in the nest or even one laying on the ground whole.
When I go into the nest box area they come running! They wait expectantly at the doorway. If there's an especially nasty looking egg I toss it out into an empty feed pan just for that purpose. If one doesn't crack open -they won't touch it.
I save all table or cooking scraps with the shells added for late afteroon to be sure they've gotten their main nutrition from the feed.
I just love watching th strutting around like bouxsom ladies!
Best to you!

To get off topic- no, Birch sap syrup doesn't taste anything like Maple syrup. Birch syrup has more of a earthy, molasses taste. The other night I cooked pork chops using the birch syrup as a glaze and oh, boy they were sure finger licking good then had some on vanilla bean ice cream. Yum, yum. I currently don't have any dogs so I can't feed the extra eggs to it. I have heard that if you rub an egg into a cat's fur it will give it more a shine. To be honest, I've never tried it so I don't know if that's true or not.
When young, we'd put raw egg in our hair while shampooing. We also used rainwater for hair and almost everything we could.
I've made my own maple syrup but have not had birch syrup!
I love molasses! Gotta look for some now!
Thanks@

Back
Top Bottom