Trimming my rooster's spurs

Fwoof

Crowing
Jun 13, 2022
(I hope this is the right forum to put this thread in, this was the one that closest fit what I'm dealing with.)

My bantam rooster's spurs are getting quite long, almost to the point of touching the back of his shank, so I want to trim before that happens.
I've heard of multiple ways to do it, but what's the best/safest/easiest way to trim a rooster's spurs? Thank you in advance!

Dog nail clippers or a dremel with either a sandpaper cylinder on it or a grinding stone, similar to use with dog nails. I might get a diamagroove bit for my dog and also use it on my roosters. Millers Forge red handled nail clippers are awesome, stay sharp a long time, and you can trim the edges of a spur or nail with them. Get you some Quik Stop, to get the spurs back far enough they probably will bleed some, but the Quick Stop does a great job. There's other methods, but I find these the easiest ways to trim spurs/nails. Also, wrap them in a bath towel beforehand. I have a kid stand behind me and make sure bird can still breathe and isn't too stressed out - they watch the bird's head while I work on the feet. There's Articles on this Forum about this topic, if you use the Search function for "rooster spur trim", that should pull some things up. Good luck!

Dog nail clippers or a dremel with either a sandpaper cylinder on it or a grinding stone, similar to use with dog nails. I might get a diamagroove bit for my dog and also use it on my roosters. Millers Forge red handled nail clippers are awesome, stay sharp a long time, and you can trim the edges of a spur or nail with them. Get you some Quik Stop, to get the spurs back far enough they probably will bleed some, but the Quick Stop does a great job. There's other methods, but I find these the easiest ways to trim spurs/nails. Also, wrap them in a bath towel beforehand. I have a kid stand behind me and make sure bird can still breathe and isn't too stressed out - they watch the bird's head while I work on the feet. There's Articles on this Forum about this topic, if you use the Search function for "rooster spur trim", that should pull some things up. Good luck!
Thank you! I think I have an idea about how I want to do it.

Back
Top Bottom