Troyer Farm Adventures and Breeding Projects

This morning an Easter Egger hen was out and about by about six thirty and a Cooper's hawk attempted to get some of her chicks which are about bobwhite quail sized. The Easter egger made sure her chicks were under cover and then she went out into the center of the yard and drew attention to herself, cackling, moving about and just generally raising a ruckus. The Cooper's hawk was sitting on a tall maple tree watching her, when he came swooping down toward where the chicks were hiding, she blasted toward him from where she was, turned him away and he went back to the tree he had been in. The hen went to the cover the chicks were hiding in and clucked reassuringly to them for a bit. She then came out from the cover and seemed to be enticing the hawk away from the chicks by putting herself out there, cackling, moving around a bit, running in short bursts away from the chicks which were still tightly under cover. It worked because the hawk came swooping out of the tree right toward her, she kinda slowly ran away from the chicks, cackling as she was running and when the hawk was about twenty feet from her she turned around and seemed prepared to take him on! He thought better of it, made a ninety degree turn and flew away into the horizon. When the hen was sure the hawk was gone she went back, got her chicks and proceeded to get closer to the house for awhile. When a bird of prey makes an attempt like that they usually stay closer to cover for several hours, but still continue to forage. This picture is of the hen and her chicks taken a week and a half earlier.
IMG_6713.JPG

As I was on a walk recently I thought I started hearing a bleating that sounded like a white tailed deer fawn. I stood still and really started scanning the underbrush for one. Soon I noticed the tops of the briars moving about thirty yards ahead of me, sure enough there was a fawn moving around calling for it's mother. As I stood watching it came out of hiding and started running around still calling and as it disappeared behind a small rise I quickly ran to small stand of trees so I would blend in a bit better to watch what would happen. It took a small semi circle and came to about ten feet of where I was standing. It looked around a bit and then noticed me. It was really curious and came to about six feet from me wondering what this strange upright thing was doing in it's habitat. Shortly after it ran in the direction of the marshy area where it's mother was already watching for it.
I don't have a picture of the mother.
IMG_6956.JPG

About thirty yards from me.
IMG_6960.JPG

Ten feet from me.
IMG_6964.JPG

Six feet from me.
IMG_6967.JPG

A good forty yards from me a bit before it went into the tall grass of the marsh in front of it where the sunlight is bright on the grasses/brush.

We freeze dried some and decided they're better frozen as whole berries.
We then juiced them and freeze dried that paste, it turned out awesome! It's a lovely way to use in smoothies.

This is what my lunch looked like today. Fried and lightly seared onions mixed with baked beans and almost swimming in butter. The butter is lightly browned as well.
8550792A-B293-45A8-887C-DD257F6FD518.jpeg

This is what my lunch looked like today. Fried and lightly seared onions mixed with baked beans and almost swimming in butter. The butter is lightly browned as well.View attachment 3882314
Man that looks good. I'd have to put it over rice and eat it with some hopefully just baked warm french bread. Maybe even some hot sauce! Yep that's what I'd do

Back
Top Bottom