Turkey plucking question

jnicholes

Free Ranging
7 Years
Feb 16, 2017
Dietrich, Idaho
Hi everyone,

I hope this is not offensive to anybody, but I am actually a turkey hunter in need of some help.

You see, the wild turkey season opened today, and I was able to harvest a turkey. It’s a nice young Jake, but it’s got a lot of meat on it.

I was able to pluck most of the feathers in the field, but not all of them. I’m having a lot of problems plucking the wings.

I have a very simple question. When it comes to the wings, is there a specific way to pluck them or make it easier to pluck them? So far, I’ve just been dry plucking it.

I’m just curious.

Any help will be appreciated,

Jared

865538A3-4AEC-409A-AFFC-7B4B830230FA.jpeg

Hi everyone,

I hope this is not offensive to anybody, but I am actually a turkey hunter in need of some help.

You see, the wild turkey season opened today, and I was able to harvest a turkey. It’s a nice young Jake, but it’s got a lot of meat on it.

I was able to pluck most of the feathers in the field, but not all of them. I’m having a lot of problems plucking the wings.

I have a very simple question. When it comes to the wings, is there a specific way to pluck them or make it easier to pluck them? So far, I’ve just been dry plucking it.

I’m just curious.

Any help will be appreciated,

Jared

View attachment 3469069
Sorry to reply to a rather old post, but that is one beautiful turkey! Good score!
How did the meat taste?

Sorry to reply to a rather old post, but that is one beautiful turkey! Good score!
How did the meat taste?

Best turkey I ever had! I brined it using a recipe on the Internet for about 18 hours, then I cooked it until a thermometer said it was done.

It’s heart, liver, neck, and gizzard made really good gravy.

56DF2E3C-93FD-4D7B-8D84-D756477B9EEA.jpeg

Best turkey I ever had! I brined it using a recipe on the Internet for about 18 hours, then I cooked it until a thermometer said it was done.

It’s heart, liver, neck, and gizzard made really good gravy.

View attachment 3577763
I love gravy! That looks delicious! Meat must always tastes best when it’s fresh caught, although I’m on the fence with venison haha.

Do you hunt anything else?

I love gravy! That looks delicious! Meat must always tastes best when it’s fresh caught, although I’m on the fence with venison haha.

Do you hunt anything else?

Yes, I do. I used to be a big turkey hunter when I lived in North Idaho, I don’t do it that much anymore. In fact, the last time I went turkey hunting was this turkey in this post. I went up to North Idaho for a special trip.

I live in South Idaho now, and there are not many turkey down here. As a result, I switched to waterfowl in 2017.

Currently, I hunt partridge, rabbit, duck, and occasionally deer or elk. I have yet to shoot an elk, though. Those animals are smart.

61BA46EC-894D-43CA-8827-7A0ADE2A338D.jpeg

B2CE60BA-52C9-4A8B-9477-D5450054DAB1.jpeg
89A776C6-60D0-4F7C-9F6E-E45C56044C65.jpeg

8CDCF01F-2D8A-4333-9505-5BFFF24F3967.jpeg

00C0ABE6-EDD1-4914-8981-ABFF1C9D8E4A.jpeg

Yes, I do. I used to be a big turkey hunter when I lived in North Idaho, I don’t do it that much anymore. In fact, the last time I went turkey hunting was this turkey in this post. I went up to North Idaho for a special trip.

I live in South Idaho now, and there are not many turkey down here. As a result, I switched to waterfowl in 2017.

Currently, I hunt partridge, rabbit, duck, and occasionally deer or elk. I have yet to shoot an elk, though. Those animals are smart.

View attachment 3577790

View attachment 3577791View attachment 3577792

View attachment 3577793

View attachment 3577794
Wow, those photos are awesome! Thank you for sharing! Hunting is an awesome sport when done responsibly. I took and passed my hunters Ed in early march, being the only student to pass with 100 percent on my exam.

Havent been out in the field with a firearm or bow and arrow yet. I‘ve been into falconry for years, so I’m in the process of getting my license and a bird.

All these different kind of meats seem so interesting, duck is definitely on my list. It’s just so fatty.

Back
Top Bottom