Two injured chickens

You’re welcome, I called on some more advice because I don’t want to miss better advice if there is some available for the wound :)
My injured chicken is still ok. I determined that the black seen in the picture is meat. I have soaked her but cannot free it. Will she heal underneath that? I’ve been putting antibiotic ointment on her and spraying with Vetercyn. Any other things I should do?

After losing two more girls - I caught the raccoon in the coop and killed it. It had hidden in the rafters where I could not see it. They finally had a peaceful night last night.

My injured chicken is still ok. I determined that the black seen in the picture is meat. I have soaked her but cannot free it. Will she heal underneath that? I’ve been putting antibiotic ointment on her and spraying with Vetercyn. Any other things I should do?

After losing two more girls - I caught the raccoon in the coop and killed it. It had hidden in the rafters where I could not see it. They finally had a peaceful night last night.
Wow! I’m sorry to hear you lost two more. Glad you caught it though. I think that the black is just dried, exposed flesh probably, yes. Can you post some pictures for us and that would help us see what is going on with her and give advice. It just may need time.

Wow! I’m sorry to hear you lost two more. Glad you caught it though. I think that the black is just dried, exposed flesh probably, yes. Can you post some pictures for us and that would help us see what is going on with her and give advice. It just may need time.
Here is a picture. It really hasn’t changed much yet. Thank you for any advice.

Attachments

• IMG_5410.jpeg
    IMG_5410.jpeg
    512 KB · Views: 8
It’s such a large injury that I bet you won’t notice healing taking place, even though there is, don’t be discouraged. Something like this will probably take months to heal completely. How is she acting?

As for advice, let’s ask the experts here. @Eggcessive what do you recommend? Could more soaking or a warm compress help with the black scab material? Does healing occur underneath when that doesn’t get removed?

It’s such a large injury that I bet you won’t notice healing taking place, even though there is, don’t be discouraged. Something like this will probably take months to heal completely. How is she acting?

As for advice, let’s ask the experts here. @Eggcessive what do you recommend? Could more soaking or a warm compress help with the black scab material? Does healing occur underneath when that doesn’t get removed?
She is still eating a drinking really well. She seems comfortable - just bored. She is used to having lots of room to scratch around in. I wish I could put her back in with her sisters - but I know it would backfire. The black is not blood scab - it is flesh/meat.

Have you ever tried soaking her black wound in warm soapy water or Epsom salts, to help soften it? I’m not sure that healing will occur if that black scab remains. I will tag @azygous for some advice on that. I think that she recommends using a bit of Dawn and very warm water. To debride the wound, use a clean wash cloth to wipe off any of the softened scab, and of course apply plenty of Neosporin ointment afterward.

The black is not blood scab - it is flesh/meat.
I understand, sorry, I don’t mean to be insensitive to her injury. I know this must be a lot to go through on top of losing flock members. I think we call it that for lack of a better term. I know it’s truly not a scab scab like the kind you’d get on your skin. I guess I don’t know what an accurate term for that is, but I hope even if it isn’t salvageable tissue, it isn’t too hard to get the injury to a point where healing can move along.

Have you ever tried soaking her black wound in warm soapy water or Epsom salts, to help soften it? I’m not sure that healing will occur if that black scab remains. I will tag @azygous for some advice on that. I think that she recommends using a bit of Dawn and very warm water. To debride the wound, use a clean wash cloth to wipe off any of the softened scab, and of course apply plenty of Neosporin ointment afterward.
I had soaked her in saline previously - but just did a Dawn soap soak. Nothing soaked off or loosened - but after I dried her off and put her back in the cage - she seemed to be plucking/cleaning/grooming around the injury. There is no bad odor or anything. Thinking she is doing good.

Well you are there, and we are not, so you are the best judge. I really hope that she heals. Wounds where the skin is wide and open take weeks to granulate in. Let us know how she gets along.

Back
Top Bottom