Two roosters, one coop?

Kbake

In the Brooder
Sep 11, 2023
I will be building a new coop in the spring.
Currently I have 3 roosters (1 still needs a loving home). I was trying to figure out if anyone has had success with doing two separate areas inside the same coop for two flocks. Since I’ll be building my own coop/having someone build me a custom set up, I figured I could just put a divider in the middle and it would be fine.
Both runs will be together and separated by fencing so they will still be able to see each other.

Since you are having someone build it why not have them build two?
I would prefer just one coop. I live on the side of a mountain so everything is uneven and rocky. Rather only have to level out one area vs two.
Plus then I only need to check one coop to check on everyone vs two

I was trying to figure out if anyone has had success with doing two separate areas inside the same coop for two flocks.
I built my coop with an option of a temp wall to make 2 separate areas for raising new chicks. Ended up using it the first winter to segregate a second 'surprise' male. It worked OK, but I wouldn't do it long term. Extra cockerel went to freezer camp the following spring.

I built my coop with an option of a temp wall to make 2 separate areas for raising new chicks. Ended up using it the first winter to segregate a second 'surprise' male. It worked OK, but I wouldn't do it long term. Extra cockerel went to freezer camp the following spring.
Right now the surprise male has a 5X5 run to himself, separated from the rest with snow fencing. Our original rooster is a good boy and our surprise boy we spent too much money on when he broke his leg as a peep 🤦‍♀️
He has to relearn how to be around other chickens. He is use to my husband and I and the dogs

First I have to say I live in north central Florida so we only use tarps over our hoop houses for coops as heat is more an issue than cold. We ended up with a number of cockerels with our “pullet” order. For example 5 out of 10 BO chicks are males. To our surprise they were very ornery. (We have other breed of roosters that are much calmer with the ladies. What we did is attached a covered run to the hoop house and divided a section of the run and placed 6 roosters (we ended up with a surprise Jersey Giant cockerel too!). We added a roost and put a tarp over that section and now we have a bachelor pad. It is working out perfectly.

Back
Top Bottom