Two roosters

My brothers and I were chased, spurred, gored, kicked, flogged and bitten by various farm animals when we were growing up (some our own animals most were owned by neighbors) 2 of us still love farm animals but 3 of my siblings want nothing to do with farm animals now because of bad experiences as a child. Roosters are notoriously famous for attacking visitors,children and the elderly so they pick their victims carefully which requires planning on their part.I'm not scared of a rooster but I won't keep a mean one.I also won't subject my hens to one.All you need for eggs are hens so unless you have a plan for all those baby cockerels that hatch don't get a rooster.And if you're new to raising chickens don't keep 2 of them because the odds of raising one good one the first time around isn't good.

I have two roosters, I love them both so much they are my pets. They are 21 weeks we have two other hens their age and have two more 11 week old hens I plan of integrating soon. My two roosters have been quarreling lately and I have a hard time getting them all to bed because of the fighting. One of my other hens seems distressed as well because of the fighting and sits on the house a lot of the time. Should I get rid of one of my roosters? I would have to rehome him. I love my chickens very much and don’t want to get rid of any of them but I am worried for his safety. Do you think once I add my two younger hens that the roosters would get along better or should I begin the relocation process for one of my roosters. I would be rehoming my less dominant rooster who is not the leader of my current flock
First off, starting at that age and up to them being a year old you're likely going to have frequent sparring between them even in the best of circumstances. It's what they do until they're about a year old, and the fights will get more serious as they get older.

Secondly, you've got way too few hens for two roosters (and that includes the two that are growing up). Even if you were free-ranging them I'd think you'd need twice as many hens to avoid fights.

Third, if you do decide to re-home one you've got to think about what you're going to do if the one you keep becomes human-aggressive.

I have two roosters, I love them both so much they are my pets. They are 21 weeks we have two other hens their age and have two more 11 week old hens I plan of integrating soon. My two roosters have been quarreling lately and I have a hard time getting them all to bed because of the fighting. One of my other hens seems distressed as well because of the fighting and sits on the house a lot of the time. Should I get rid of one of my roosters? I would have to rehome him. I love my chickens very much and don’t want to get rid of any of them but I am worried for his safety. Do you think once I add my two younger hens that the roosters would get along better or should I begin the relocation process for one of my roosters. I would be rehoming my less dominant rooster who is not the leader of my current flock
I hate having to write this, but after many years of caring for free range flocks and the last three years a mainly confined group my opinion is it's difficult to keep two mature males (wanting to breed) in a confined area.
If one is new to chickens then the likely result is distressing.
Some people opt for two coops and runs, one for each males and his hens. In a small area this poses problems when/if one wants to let them out for some "free ranging." It can be done but what one may find is in effect one halves the out time of each group rather than double the time towards ranging.

Having a lot of land can and has in my experience solved many of the multiple roosters living on the land; an acre per group is what I and others have found to work well.
People laugh when I say acres but it's a lot nearer the mark than ten square feet per bird,
From your picture it doesn't look like you have the acres option.

Re-home one and if you plan to let any broodies sit and hatch be prepared to go through it all again. Re-homing males to somewhere they aren't going to get eaten over and over again gets hard on the nerves. The solution is to eat them yourself/family etc.

I hate having to write this, but after many years of caring for free range flocks and the last three years a mainly confined group my opinion is it's difficult to keep two mature males (wanting to breed) in a confined area.
If one is new to chickens then the likely result is distressing.
Some people opt for two coops and runs, one for each males and his hens. In a small area this poses problems when/if one wants to let them out for some "free ranging." It can be done but what one may find is in effect one halves the out time of each group rather than double the time towards ranging.

Having a lot of land can and has in my experience solved many of the multiple roosters living on the land; an acre per group is what I and others have found to work well.
People laugh when I say acres but it's a lot nearer the mark than ten square feet per bird,
From your picture it doesn't look like you have the acres option.

Re-home one and if you plan to let any broodies sit and hatch be prepared to go through it all again. Re-homing males to somewhere they aren't going to get eaten over and over again gets hard on the nerves. The solution is to eat them yourself/family etc.
Thank you! I raised 2 cockerels last year separate from the pullets until they started laying.(moved them at 11 weeks) Originally my cockerel mated my 2 and 3 yr olds but after I integrated the pullets and released them the 3 yr hens chased the pullets and the roosters in turn chased the 3 yr olds.Now they rarely come out the coop unless the pullets and roosters are free ranging.The only time the 3yr olds mate the rooster is when he forces them.I rehomed 4 of the pullets and one of the cockerels after they turned a yr old but little has changed

Back
Top Bottom