Underweight chick

CochinBrahmaLover

Girl, I'm FABulous
8 Years
Dec 29, 2011
Warm.... Under a blanket... In Alaska...
So I was holding my Cochin chick,she pooped so I switched her out for a Serema chick, and oy! Maybe it's just because the Cochin chick seems so meaty but this Serema girl, her keel is sharp! I can feel her crop, it's small but full.
I just lowered their heat lamp (they kept cheeping and I couldn't figure out because I figured they were feathered out enough that it wasn't too high) and they get meat bird food (26% protein, our chicks were very slow growers and due to having chicks running in the flock and broody hens, the only all purpose flock feeder they had) 24/7, along with water 24/7. I don't know why she'd be underweight, but she just seems like it. The keel does have some meat, but little.
Think I'm just freaking out because the Cochin is meaty? My first Serema chicks (2, hatched here) so I'm eager to get them to adulthood!

Compared to a Cochin (bantam or LF), I'd imagine a Serama would feel VERY light. Compared to just about any other breed, they'll probably feel light.

They're tiny, light-bodied birds. As long as its eating, drinking, pooping and behaving normally, I wouldn't worry :)
Good luck!

I have a few Seramas mixed in with Production Reds and it freaks me out too! They are so light compared to them. Don't worry though, it's completely normal. They aren't a very meaty breed.

Back
Top Bottom