Unexplained loss of feathers

crowers

In the Brooder
Feb 3, 2024
Southern Maryland
Hello everyone! I could use some advice…one of the girls is losing her feathers. It started as a small spot and now it has grown. At first, thinking she was molting we increased the amount of protein we were giving, but, this is not working. Then, my husband reminded me that they molted back in the autumn. I’ve added Spring Chicken Wellness Brew that I saw at Tractor Supply as an immune system support. I’m not sure what else to do.

Guidance is much appreciated!

Lillian

Attachments

• IMG_0568.jpg
    IMG_0568.jpg
    589.5 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0570.jpg
    IMG_0570.jpg
    441.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0572.jpg
    IMG_0572.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 3
What size is your coupe and run and how many birds do you have in it?

What exact feed are you using and do you feed treats regularly?

Both of these things above can be a factor when it comes to feather picking.

She might be the rooster's favourite. But also some breeds like Marans or Salmon Faverolles have softer feathers than others that break more easily.

A little rooster pedicure can help to prevent feather damage and injuries.

What size is your coupe and run and how many birds do you have in it?

What exact feed are you using and do you feed treats regularly?

Both of these things above can be a factor when it comes to feather picking.
The coupe is actually a mid-sized barn sitting on about a 1/3 to 1/2 acre enclosed by a fence. We have about 18 birds. We feed them Nutrena NatureWise 16% (18% protein when they are molting). For treats, we feed Producer's Pride Scratch Grains mixed with crushed up eggshells as well as veggies and fruits.

She might be the rooster's favourite. But also some breeds like Marans or Salmon Faverolles have softer feathers than others that break more easily.

A little rooster pedicure can help to prevent feather damage and injuries.
Ah, I will check Macho's nails to see if he's due for a pedicure. Thank you!

Many chicken saddles or aprons require sewing and elastic straps, but I made some out of a square piece of polar fleece like the one in this link:
http://www.linnacresfarm.com/2014/04/how-to-make-simple-hen-saddleapron.html
Two slits about 2 inches long will hold the saddle in place. They can be trimmed to fit. I suggest putting it on at night while on the roost. Chicken react to anything out of the ordinary, so they may get spooked if you put it on during the day.

Back
Top Bottom