Unusual egg situation. Need help.

jnicholes

Free Ranging
7 Years
Feb 16, 2017
Dietrich, Idaho
Hi everyone,

Unusual situation. I am at work, I work at Lowes in the garden center, and I was watering plants. I decided to buy a plant for my mother.

While putting the plant in my car, AFTER I bought it, I noticed three intact bird eggs on the soil underneath the dense foliage.

I’ve never seen this the entire time I’ve worked at Lowes. This is a first.

I decided to attempt to incubate the eggs until they hatch, then take the hatchlings to a wildlife rehabilitation center.

Questions now.

First, is taking them to the wildlife rehab a good idea after they hatch, or should I do it before they hatch?

Second, how can I tell if the eggs are still “alive,” for lack of a better term?

Third, how do I incubate eggs like this? Do they even need this?

Finally, can someone help me ID the eggs if that’s even possible? I’ll post a picture when I get off work.

Any help and advice will be appreciated,

Jared.

Are you still at work? The eggs will need to be incubated. You can candle the eggs which can be done by shining a flashlight and seeing if you see veins or movement.

Are you still at work? The eggs will need to be incubated. You can candle the eggs which can be done by shining a flashlight and seeing if you see veins or movement.

Actually, I just got off. When I get home, I’ll do what you say. i’m also going to call the rehab place and see if they will take them.

E82A8098-54D1-4AB5-89EE-234319AC2803.jpeg

Here are some better photos. I think they’re fertilized. Two of them I couldn’t even see through with candling. One of them I could see something small inside. Don’t think it’s a yolk.

They also have a tendency to lay on one specific side of the egg, as if it is weighted on that side.

2280EB2D-7CA9-4D3E-BB9F-5636F277D10C.jpeg

EBC114C7-1DED-4F5E-86C7-00C708DCBE59.jpeg

Calling the rehab place right now.

Jared

OK, just got off the phone with the wildlife rehabilitator. There is a bird egg act in place, and I can’t legally hold onto them and neither can they. They said that the best option is to return the plant to the store, put it somewhere safe, and hope the Mother can find it.

Technically, I own the plant, so no one else can buy it and risk hurting the eggs. That’s an upside.

Back
Top Bottom