*UPDATE* HELP: Gosling with Slipped Tendon

Bleenie

Wyan-DO's
10 Years
Jul 14, 2009
The Beautiful Pacific NW ,WA
The baby's leg has just continued to get worse so I have decided to take him into the vet. Someone on CL told me about a local vet that takes in injured birds, fixes them (if she can) and then they have a forever home at her place. It sounds really good for Mingo, so we will be taking him in tomorrow since they're closed for the holiday. Hopefully she will be able to fix this beautiful baby.

He is just starting to get his feathers in too..almost criend last night while i was holding him with a compress on his bad leg. he's so beautiful. Thank you everyone for all the suggestions and help, i really appreciate it.

I posted about this little baby not long ago. it has what looks to be a leg deformity. well tonight when i got home i noticed that it wasn't using one of it's legs. I checked him out and it looks like the tendon is out of place on it's "knee". i am not sure how else to describe it. I can move it back and forth but it's loose and wont stay in place.

is there ANYTHING i can do for something like this? any kind of therapy or vitamins? I have started using avia charge but dunno if it'll help with something like this. i have had it help chicks with hatching issues before but I have Never had any problems with my waterfowl babies.

He is currently in the house with me in a laundry basket, towel and stuffy for comfort. sleeping well but i know this can't be comfortable and probably hurts. It always happens to the ones you Really like.
hit.gif

Last edited:
I've never dealt with anything like that but do you think you can wrap it and keep it in a quiet place for a couple of days?

take a band aid standard size cut it in hafe long ways .......strape it above the feet will take a day or two but leave it own til it gets balance an strength do not take off til it falls off

After i had him in here for an hour last night, wrapped in a towel with his teddy to snuggle, i checked his leg out again and he was standing on it?!??? The tendon seems to have "re-set" itself? is that possible? can heat help this kind of issue?

This gosling is about 3 weeks old and this "deformity" started showing not long ago but the slipped tendon was sudden, i am just suprised to see it be fixed so easily...should i keep a watch out for this in the future too? would it be something that is most likely to happen again and again?

It is a slipping tendon. I would wrap it in some vet wrap to give support for a few weeks. If it keeps slipping it can be a big problem. I have a swan that has it, it can be hereditary or other issues.

Yeah, once you think it is back in "place", wrap it snugly in vet wrap for a while, I'm thinking maybe weeks, with changes of the vetwrap and making sure the feetie is warm as the unwrapped one. Maybe the muscles attached are weak, for whatever reason, and wrapping it will keep it "correct" and allow the muscles to strengthen and eventually hold it in place.

Could this problem be connected to his severe "bow-leggedness" that has recently become so prominent? I will do the wrapping as soon as i get home and i think he may only get warm baths from now on, i think that the bath yesterday may have irritated this.

I got the baby's leg "bandaged" today with the vet wrap stuff. he/she has been using it fine since, besides being irritated by the strangeness of it. when laying down he prefers to keep that leg outstreched backwards, lol. the bandaged also has straightened the foot/leg which i was very pleased to see... I was actually considering wrapping the other knee too but thought he would refuse to walk with 2 funny-feeling legs.

thanks for all the help guys, hopefully this will help heal or strenghten those muscles there.

27wvl0k.jpg

2wqg1f7.jpg

The foot looks rather red/pink and possibly swollen... Is this a trick of the light, or a normal appearance for these birds, or is that related to the injury? If so, it may not be a good thing... I'd keep the gosling off the foot if at all possible.

You could have wrapped it too tightly, causing this appearance...
From what I can see, yes, it does look to be too tight. The post below mine outlines some of this.

Last edited:
I used a couple of snapped off q-tip tops taped on either side of a tendon and taped around the leg to fix a peachick last week. You MUST be careful not to wrap too tight or the blood can't get back up the leg to circulate and the leg will die from lack of oxygen. The peachick started to have a red foot after 2 days because she'd outgrown the tightness of my original fix!

I used the paper medical tape, and it sticks well enough to hold the q-tips in place. These tips form a channel which in turn holds the tendon. It worked great- peachick crisis averted!

Back
Top Bottom