URGENT - NEED SOW HELP

i had 2 of my friends hogs get out the other night. dang things lifted the door up and escapped. had a 450lb sow and a 300lb boar on the loose in a main highway.
ep.gif
took like 8 of us includeing state police and hours to round them up and darn near caused 4 accidents. we got them finally with ropes (and big steal fence pieces coraled)and they r safe in the pen now.
barnie.gif
i'd of much rather helped deliver piglets than go through what we had to. sure wish i had a cam on me, rotfl.

sounds like labor to me,
fl.gif
good luck!! keep us posted!!

No changes as of yet, still waiting. she has resituated the way she is laying, but is still laying on her side. Will give you more updates as they come available.

had a 450lb sow and a 300lb boar on the loose in a main highway

That would have been a site to see... did you try using a bucket of corn??? it works everytime...
wink.png

Ah... I had a pig like that. never bothered the chickens while he was out running around, but if they flew into his pen...

welllll.............. these pigs we free range... they kept getting out of the pin because they were so small... they slipped right threw the slats.... now you see why i threatend DH...

As for pics... yes, I always post pics of the new babies for the most part... but yes, if piglets are born, I will be sure to get some pics and post them for you all to see.....

Thanks for caring all!!! Will keep you updated!!!​

You may have to deal with this behavior for a few days before any piglets arrive.

I want pigs but DH says NO a very firm NO. I even tried the pigs or sheep ultimatum via some advice from friends
lol.png
and all I got was two firms NO's...and he told the friends to not talk to me anymore
lau.gif
(these are the guys who started me on the chicken addiction with some free eggs to hatch)

goatkeepers - pot bellie pigs are more you indoor pigs, kind of like a pet dog
lol.png
What we have are Chester Whites which is the one we are dealing with now; then we have Duroc's they are the new babies that I want to BBQ at the moment!!!
rant.gif

Personally I would read first what everyone has to say about pigs, and what it takes to raise them before thinking about getting them... they are alot of work and take alot of $$$$$$$$$.

rooster0209 -
gig.gif
if I would have known what I do now... I would have fought and said NO!!!!
lau.gif

No new updates, infact she is back up and running around, I have NO clue as to what is going on.... I will let you all know if anything else happens....

Thanks so much for all the information you provided to me....

Hmm strange. Maybe she's not quite ready yet...

Can you elaborate on the $$$$$$$ some more? I thought it was rather cheap to keep pigs (I have done some reseach, about a year ago..).

Pot bellies aren`t just indoor house pigs. Pickles lives outdoors in the barn with my ducks. I live in northern Canada where the winters are bloody cold and she is out in the barn in the winter. As long as they are provided shelter from rain and direct sun in the summer and aren`t exposed to cold drafts in the winter they are fine outdoors. Pickles was previously a house pig but once she got old enough to start going outside in the barn yard she refused to go back in the house. I would watch keeping a pot belly and goats together. Usually either the goats will ram the pig and hurt it or the pig is aggressive and will chase and terrorize your goats. I have 2 pygmy does and three pygmy whethers that used to live in a 1 acre pen with Pickles and they got along fine but Pickles had a stall in the barn with a pig door only she could fit through to get away from the goats, and mini horse that lives with the goats.

Good luck with your pig that is possibly in labour. I have had a mare that lived with a stud for two years before she got pregnant. We had thought that he was shooting blanks as well but apparently not cause three years later we had a foal hit the ground. The previous year things just did not seem to happen. It sounds like she is in labour to though, so I would not worry to much!

Can you elaborate on the $$$$$$$ some more? I thought it was rather cheap to keep pigs (I have done some reseach, about a year ago..).

I am sorry it has taken me so long to respond to you. So much going on with work and cars...

Anyways, Prices have gone up since last year by more than $2.00 a bag for feed and if you want to feed corn... prices have gone up more than that! The initial amount to start is the worst. Be sure you build a solid pen for them to be in... they are escape artisist (like goats) and love to burrow...
Feel free to PM me if you would like...

As for what I said about Pot bellie pigs, that is what I have always known them as. The people I knew that had them, kept them in the house... even potty trained them... ewwww the smell... anyways, I did not mean any offence with what I said....​

Back
Top Bottom