urgent ! prolapse ? please help

Calcium may help for any future eggs she lays, but not for the one that already broke inside her. EYP is very common in production hens, I have had 2 red sex links die from this.

From the page I posted, antibiotics may help prevent an infection caused by the broken egg bits stuck in the oviduct, if you want to get her on some asap.

casportpony, you posted a lot of good info but it's a little overwhelming!

Thank u for all that info ! Lot to reaf n take in . Shes perked up a tiny bit and iveleft her in a dark area to relax for a moment she was crankt with me messing so much trying to help!.

Back to it very shorlty when she relaxes again

Calcium may help for any future eggs she lays, but not for the one that already broke inside her. EYP is very common in production hens, I have had 2 red sex links die from this.

From the page I posted, antibiotics may help prevent an infection caused by the broken egg bits stuck in the oviduct, if you want to get her on some asap.

casportpony, you posted a lot of good info but it's a little overwhelming!
Yes, I know, but it's how I learned to deal with it and I have noticed that many people don't actually click on links, so when possible, I just copy and paste.

Calcium won't hurt, it might even help if she is the least bit hypoglycemic. After all, who's to say that she doesn't have more soft-shelled eggs that she needs to pass? I've had a couple that passed two in one day - Calcium definitely helped them.

FWIW, I don't think she's an internal layer, I think the egg broke while in her, but that is not "internal laying". Internal laying is when the yolk is dropped into the abdominal cavity instead of the reproductive tract.

Egg Yolk Peritonitis

Egg yolk peritonitis (the presence of yolk material in the coelomic cavity) is a common cause of abdominal distension in birds. Yolk material by itself induces a mild inflammatory response and may be reabsorbed by the peritoneum. Because yolk is an excellent growth medium for bacteria, peritonitis may result from secondary bacterial infection. Localized to diffuse fibrinous peritonitis may result, and may lead to secondary ascites and organ inflammation or compromise in chronic cases.
Egg peritonitis is characterized by fibrin or albumen-like material with a cooked appearance among the abdominal viscera. It is a common cause of sporadic deaths, but in some flocks may become the major cause of death and give the appearance of a contagious disease. It is diagnosed at necropsy.
Lodgment of eggs in the oviduct was probably due to reverse peristalsis brought about by breakage of the thin-shelled eggs and secondary bacterial infection. Peritonitis follows reverse movement of albumen and Escherichia coli bacteria from the oviduct into the abdomen. If the incidence is high, culture should be done to differentiate between Pasteurella (fowl cholera) or Salmonella infection.
When hens have too many large ovarian follicles, a problem described as erratic oviposition and defective egg syndrome (EODES) is seen in broiler breeders.
This condition is accompanied by a high incidence of double-yolked eggs, prolapses of the oviduct, internal ovulation, and/or internal laying that often results in egg peritonitis and mortality. EODES is prevented by avoiding light stimulation of underweight pullets too early and following body weight and lighting recommendations for each breeder strain. Overweight hens may also have a higher incidence of erratic ovulations and mortality associated with egg peritonitis.

Clinical Signs:

Sudden death, loss of appetite/anorexia, weakness, depression, respiratory distress, lethargy, fluffed feathers, lack of vocalizations, yolk-colored droppings, swollen vent and/or abdomen (the swelling feels spongy to the touch), and ascites. Some of these symptoms also mimic egg binding. Ascites is most commonly seen in cockatiels and waterfowl.

Nesting behavior or recent egg laying is commonly reported at presentation. Abdominal wall herniation may be a complication in cases of extreme abdominal distension secondary to increased coelomic pressure. Although ascites is not present in all birds with egg yolk peritonitis, fluid evaluation may be diagnostic when ascites is a presenting clinical sign. Grossly, the fluid is slightly yellow to yellow, with possible visualization visualization of yolk material and protein strands. The fluid may appear noninflammatory (as in this case) or inflammatory, with or without sepsis. Typical findings would be only yolk or fat globules in the former case and a mixture of heterophils, macrophages, lymphocytes, fat globules, and yolk globules with or without bacteria in the latter case.
Any ascitic fluid from a bird should be cultured, especially in cases of egg yolk peritonitis. Coliform bacteria have been the most common isolates in egg yolk peritonitis. (Sources: Abdominal Effusion in a Bird, Merck Vet Manual, Ruptured-yolk peritonitis and organochlorine residues in a royal tern.)

Last edited:
Ok thank u . All this is a first for mw as thwyare my fiat lot of hens had them for about 3 yra in total with my broody oprs first.
I havent found anything in the house to so water up there yet atill looking. Put a butof huney over it to take swelling down ( somwthing i read while waiting for answers) and gave her somw water with nutri drops in and shes perking up . Prolaps is in ans out no more messy liquid is coming out all dry now. Will try very hard for hwr as shes a lovely chicken ( favorite!) Thank u for ahelping really aprecaite it as its the firat big problem ive ever had with my girls
Have you stuck a gloved, well lubed finger in to check for an egg?

Is this easier to read?

Last edited:
In theory, yes, the yolk can break in the uterus and cause a form of EYP, but the only EYP hens that I have seen personally (I do some of my own necropsies) have had the egg yolk in their bellies or huge egg masses that were stuck in the uterus. I've also had a couple with oviduct cancer. Have necropsy pictures if you're interested.

Gave it a go was very swolen but empty .

She qas swolen on her tumy last week n i gave her a bath and she was ok and laid a normal egg the ext rhat was tuesday juat gone . She missed a few days and thurdsay friday sis more soft shwlled wggs then today a very strange bit of an egg will go see if its still there n take a pic !

Back
Top Bottom