Using recycled wood

Do not set it on the ground. Elevate it 18" or so. If not, you will eventually have rot, plus a rodent/snake haven.
hide.gif
Could just stain the whole thing using a compressor and paint sprayer when done. I did my deck latticework using that technique, with a color called driftwood gray. It is the color that wood will become in time outdoors anyway. They are just pallets and it is just a tempy outbuilding, so why worry with it too much? Gray will blend in somewhat and maybe help it not look so bad. Paint will just draw one's eye to it unless it is gray or some neutral earth tone.
wink.png

Last edited:
There is not really any way of treating plain wood to prevent it from rotting when contacting the ground or in a damp location. It is really really worth buying pressure-treated wood for those parts. Or raise the whole thing at least a foot off the ground with good airflow underneath.

For the rest of it, just prime and paint it real good and it will be fine.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Last year I used Thompsons Water Seal on a new coop and have been impressed with it. Water beads and runs right off. It doesn't last forever though, you have to reapply after a couple years.

I agree with others - paint it! I would also raise it up, just setting the corners up on bricks or stepping stones helps. We built our coop out of recycled materials, but did not use any pallets. (I would like to make a pallet coop next) To preserve it and make it look better we painted it all one color. This is how our turned out. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=3563095

Good
luck!

Pressure treated wood does not pose any known problem to chickens (they don't eat wood), although I would not use it for a roost or anything else they'll be walking directly on. Personally I feel that the use of p/t wood should be limited to only the applications where it is really necessary, i.e. ground-contact or prolonged dampness, but especially with the new ACQ wood it is safe enough for the chickens. Do make sure to use ACQ-approved fasteners, as it's even more corrosive to metal than the old CCA p/t wood was, and plain ol' galvanized hardware will not last well. So read labels.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

I say spen dof few $$ and buy the PT wood for the ground as for the rest sand it down (if you don't own a electric planer) paint or stain depending on what type of wood it is.
I like the weathered look myself so I use a clear non-toxic varish I still get the weathered look but I also get the protection I want just a thought for you for the coop I would just use a waterseal product but the wood in or on the ground will rot in due time so choose wisely.

Back
Top Bottom