Vent Prolapse

dodgeboy

Hatching
Apr 17, 2024
I have a 1.2 year old leghorn hen, which has vent prolapse. I've been soaking her in epsom salt, using prep-h antibiotic spray. She seems like nothing is bothering her, she's eating well, laying eggs. This has been almost 4 weeks now. I have her separated from my others to keep them away from her. Now she is oozing something out. I'm hoping its not a infection. I'm giving her Colloidal Silver in her water, and Diatomaceous earth as well as probiotics in her water. I dont know what else to do. There isn't a vet here where I live that handles chickens. Any ideas would great appreciated. I would hate to have her put down. She's been a great layer hen. Anywho, God Bless to all.

I have a 1.2 year old leghorn hen, which has vent prolapse. I've been soaking her in epsom salt, using prep-h antibiotic spray. She seems like nothing is bothering her, she's eating well, laying eggs. This has been almost 4 weeks now. I have her separated from my others to keep them away from her. Now she is oozing something out. I'm hoping its not a infection. I'm giving her Colloidal Silver in her water, and Diatomaceous earth as well as probiotics in her water. I dont know what else to do. There isn't a vet here where I live that handles chickens. Any ideas would great appreciated. I would hate to have her put down. She's been a great layer hen. Anywho, God Bless to all.
I am in the same situation. I neglected to mention I have also used poultry injury spray. I see no one replied to you, I wondered what you have decided to do. I was at the vet for my dog last week and she won't see the chicken, just said put her down.
Let's don't pretend I can afford to take her, either. I did that once and my husband almost committed me I cannot think when that calm man has been that angry. It was for 130$, a different injury. The chicken coincidentally is still alive 4 years later and doesn't lay.....

Same over here in the uk. Not worth taking hen to vet. I have only had my ex- battery hens for one month and one has a prolapse. I have done everything the manuals/experts say but it’s still there. I have separated her from the others and she has a good sized run and can see the other hens.
I couldn’t envisage killing her but I am at a loss as to what to do for her now. She has not laid any eggs in the four weeks.

Back
Top Bottom