Vertical (gravity) vs. horizontal (spring loaded) watering nipples

Pics
Try going down to the local grocery to the fish department of the deli. They get items like "shrimp salad", etc. in ONE GALLON buckets that are small and easy to work with but still have the heavier walls. My local grocery gives these to me free. But if I had to purchase them for a small fee, I'd pay for them because I LOVE the small size, they have a handle like a regular bucket, and they're rigid.

I carry feed out in those buckets because they're so handy. I also use them to carry quite a few other things as well because of their convenient size.

Anyhow, if you can get hold of those you'll be glad you did and they'll work to make a smaller waterer for you.

Same kind of plastic as the 5 gallon buckets rigid-wise.

Last edited:
I've used the thin walled jars/jugs for chick waterers but used 5/16 or 11/32 drill size instead of the recommended 3/8.

BUT

You have to be very careful that the hole is drilled very clean, no nubbins, or scraggly pieces of plastic left hanging.......

......especially if it's the clear harder kind of plastic instead of the opaque softer milk jug/juice bottle type of plastic.

AND

Don't thread it in all the way, just until snug then test by filling with water, snugging a little further if necessary to stop leaks.

We made this waterer from the parts listed and it is working well for our flock for some time now. http://www.aquabarrel.com/product_poultry_bucket_waterer_parts.php

I raised my last brooder of 25 Golden Comets completely on horizontal Nipples from day 2 and today I have 24 beautiful little girls that are just beginning to lay. I lost one from unknown reasons but she was weak looking when I first got her home. I have recently moved these birds to a larger pen and it has both cups and H-nipples and the birds use both but they seem to prefer the nipples and often gather together for a group drink, especially after a treat of feed bread or vegetables scraps.

When the weather turned cold recently I drained my system and put in a traditional 3 gal waterer. They used it but just as soon as I refilled the nipple system and put it back together they completely forgot about the traditional waterer and went right back to their gathering for a group drink!

I have used some horizontal nipples for one- to two-week old chicks. I had four very young chicks, and lost the runt of the hatch today. I worry about all of the chicks sort of competing to use the nipple. Common sense tells me that they should be able to get water 'at will'. With the low nipple/chick ratio, will the chicks get enough water? This evening I added chick saver to water and set it out for them to drink in a tiny dish. They're really drinking it up! Has anyone else had any negative experiences with baby chicks using the horizontal nipples? Thanks!

I used a horizontal nipple for chicks and they didn't seem to be getting enough. Yes I saw them using it, but they seemed to be getting dehydrated So after a couple days I put a regular quail waterer in with them (I never use chick waterers for young chicks), and they drank and drank and drank and drank and drank. So that was the first and last time I used a horizontal nipple with young chicks. Now I wait until they're at least feathered out. By that time they seem to be able to get enough water.

I have used some horizontal nipples for one- to two-week old chicks. I had four very young chicks, and lost the runt of the hatch today. I worry about all of the chicks sort of competing to use the nipple. Common sense tells me that they should be able to get water 'at will'. With the low nipple/chick ratio, will the chicks get enough water? This evening I added chick saver to water and set it out for them to drink in a tiny dish. They're really drinking it up! Has anyone else had any negative experiences with baby chicks using the horizontal nipples? Thanks!
Last year we used the vertical nipples for the chicks from the start. (didn't know about the horiz ones then) The 1st day I put them outside in the chicken tractor (maybe 3 weeks old) I used a standard chick fountain. A few hours later, they were lethargic. They had no idea that they could drink water from anything other than a nipple. I had to teach the poor thirsty little guys. Now I make sure to teach them how to drink both ways. I will be using the horiz nipples for my chicks this year.

When I switched over to the horiz nipples, I had no problems. The hens all rushed to try it out at first & now they simply drink at will. Whenever I put out fresh water (no matter the container) the flock must all rush to take a sample. The chick saver may also taste good, so that could also explain the drinking frenzy. It's a good plan to keep some on hand in your chicken 1st aid kit.

Pardon my "newbie ness" but what is PDZ? Do you mix it with sand or does it come that way?

Stall freshener. They use it in stables but it's safe for chickens. It's granules that kill the odor.

I put a handful of it in the bottom of my Serama cages when I clean them, then put shavings on top of it. It really does cut down on the odor significantly.

You can find it at farm stores and probably most feed stores.

Thanks!! We are still brand new at this!! Many mistakes along the way, but when we built the run, we framed the bottom with 2x6 and filled it with sand. It has really helped with odor and no mud when it rains! I think I could use this in the bottom of the roosting house.

Last year we used the vertical nipples for the chicks from the start. (didn't know about the horiz ones then) The 1st day I put them outside in the chicken tractor (maybe 3 weeks old) I used a standard chick fountain. A few hours later, they were lethargic. They had no idea that they could drink water from anything other than a nipple. I had to teach the poor thirsty little guys. Now I make sure to teach them how to drink both ways. I will be using the horiz nipples for my chicks this year.

When I switched over to the horiz nipples, I had no problems. The hens all rushed to try it out at first & now they simply drink at will. Whenever I put out fresh water (no matter the container) the flock must all rush to take a sample. The chick saver may also taste good, so that could also explain the drinking frenzy. It's a good plan to keep some on hand in your chicken 1st aid kit.
I acquired 4 teenage chicks and put the usual horizontal nipple waterer out for them. I 'demonstrated', but they didn't get it. A few days later I switched to vertical nipples, again demonstrated, and they didn't get it. I think that they got sick after they arrived, so am treating them. May have arrived with whatever they have --- doesn't matter. Just have to get them well.
Anyway, finally I just put the water (with medication) in a regular water fountain and they drink it right up. I'll have to use that until everyone is well. Either these chicks are really dumb, or more likely, they have been sick and just didn't 'get it' with the nipple waterers. I believe that they're on the mend, so will try again when everyone is well. They've had a harsh transition. Thanks for others' advice.

Back
Top Bottom