VERY VERY new to owning a baby chick and need som advise please!

Geri

Hatching
12 Years
Apr 7, 2007
Hello, I'm excited that we purchased our very first pullet baby chick today! Before I picked it out I asked the guy in charge if I need to buy two, or would one be ok alone. He said that one would be ok alone. I feel, now that we have it home alone is that it's not doing ok alone. It's whole little life it's lived with a ton of other baby chicks, and now it's all by itself. It constantly chirping LOUD unless we pick it up. It seems under a great deal of stress. Is what I'm assuming correct or am I reading too much in to this? I have found every sort of website to help on raising chickens but I could not find one that addressed this particular issue. Probably because no one ever buys just one huh? I really appreciate any help.
Thanks so much, Geri

Hi
The guy selling the chicks should know better. Chicks are much better with company. I would go get it a little friend.
yippiechickie.gif

They do need friends- a chick that is all alone is generally panicky, as you have described. Just one other chick will help it stay calm and quiet because the chicks will feel safer and happier in a "flock" of two.

Good luck. The guy at the store was wrong- your instincts on the chick being stressy are very accurate.

-MTchick

Good story:

I believe they do need friends. I had a lonely little button quail hatch. I felt sorry for the little guy. He was all lone, no other quail with him. I have him in the chicks. When he was born, he would run up under and cuddle under one. I felt sorry for him, so I went and bought him a stuffed animal to cuddle with. They look much better and probably feel much better with a friend.

Oh my gosh, I feel so bad! Thanks so much for all your prompt helpful replies. I just hope she doesn't have a little nervous brake down before Monday when the store is open again. (and that's if I don't have one first with guilt!) I should have gone with my gut instinct! No one wants to be alone unless they choose to and be! Especially a baby!
Thanks so much again!
I'm sure I'll be back to this board again since I am a first time chicken owner.
tongue.png

Geri

Quote:
The chick may be too cold, and by holding it, it warms up and quiets down.
She likely would do better with another chick (or two), but in the meantime, give her a light to help her keep warm.

Back
Top Bottom