Wanajeeps new flock

Wanajeep

In the Brooder
May 7, 2020
Hey there everyone. I figured I would continue with the introductions and introduce the flock and their chicken run. I currently have Rhode island reds, Americanas and a couple unknown ducks(hoping they would be the guard goose).
I have recently purchased my first home and the first thing I wanted/needed were chickens. The property needed some help as most of it was pretty neglected and full of weeds(purchased off an older couple, bless their sweet souls). After I got my chicks settled and warm in the house, yes I know. They stunk everything up. But I didnt want their little feet to freeze as it was still pretty cold out at night. Weather permitting, we eventually moved them into the garage. I managed to gather up some bits and pieces off plywood to put a makeshift coop. Mainly being temporary till I can get a real coop together. Darn house down payments anyway lol. Though when it came to the fence I didnt want to go too cheap. I opted for a 5' tall heavier guage wire fence and 7' T posts to start off with. I got what we are going to call a chicken coop together, figured out the food and water situation, electricity for a heat lamp, and they were moved outside! Things have been going great. They figured out how to get in and out of the coop, found their feed and water. Couldn't get any better. I did eventually put in a small pond area for the ducks to play it. Plus a little extra water for everyone as the ducks are a lush lol.
Recently things have gotten a bit more tricky. I have lost a couple chickens to an unknown predator. The first predator that comes to mind is a big bird of some kind. As it has taken a whole chicken without any trace. Maybe it's a hawk, eagle or maybe even an owl that I've seen flying around at dusk. But the weird part is it happens during daylight hours. There hasn't been any indication of something digging or trying to get under the fence. Maybe something along the lines of a fox or bigger cat? We do live in a farm-ish area not too far from a larger river and a swampy area. Not too many trees tho. Another reason why I think it's a cat or fox is when it was in the pen. The chickens were cornered. There are feathers in every corner and against the backside wall of the garage. So I dont think it would be a bird flapped around the run trying to pluck feathers. The encounter had to taken some time. 3 chickens were involved. 1 completely missing, one that damn near didnt make it but is on the mend and is doing better. The last one got away with a clipped wing and is also on the mend. I haven't seen anything as I am away at work most of the day. I have recently purchased some cameras and will be putting them up as soon as they arrive in the mail. As well as put up some other possibly deterrents that may or may not help until I can get some netting as well. I have had hundreds of chickens before my new place and have never needed netting nor a top cover for them. It was always raccoons and weasels that I had to fight. Plucking eggs out of the nest and raiding the coop at night. But never during the day.
As things progress with fortifying the run to protect what is mine. Add and change things as needed. Ill try to keep everyone updated. But this is all I have at the moment.
Thanks for joining me on my adventure of raising chickens. I am sure there will be more.

Attachments

• 20200321_180612.jpg
    20200321_180612.jpg
    820.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 20200320_200524.jpg
    20200320_200524.jpg
    270.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 20200409_170019.jpg
    20200409_170019.jpg
    586.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 20200317_062156.jpg
    20200317_062156.jpg
    349.6 KB · Views: 3
Your birds are precious! :love I think if it were me, I would add some hardware cloth to the lower portion of the fence, and run a hot wire around it. I would also add an apron around the outside so nothing could dig in, and some form of cover over the top so nothing could fly in. Predators are persistent :old

Back
Top Bottom