Wash? Eggsplosion halfway thru brooding

chicChickChick

Songster
9 Years
Apr 21, 2015
I have a broody hen under a clutch of eggs at about day 18. An egg broke ( either a quitter or a fresh egg another hen sneaked in and laid) and the developing eggs are filthy and stinky. Do I wash them?

I have a broody hen under a clutch of eggs at about day 18. An egg broke ( either a quitter or a fresh egg another hen sneaked in and laid) and the developing eggs are filthy and stinky. Do I wash them?
Nope. Don't wash. Remove as much as you can of the mess, soiled bedding, etc. without disturbing the hen - you don't want her to stop sitting. Put a bit of clean bedding if needed. Wipe inside of nest box with a dry rag to get things dry. For the eggs, gently blot them dry, or gently rub them in the shavings to get the muck off. Also dry the bottom of your hen. The hen's body heat will soon dry the muck out, and anything left will just be a dry coating of nastiness. If you try to wash the eggs with just water or water and/or some type of soap, you risk removing the bloom, which is what protects the eggs from bacteria. Vigorous dry scrubbing can also remove the bloom. Right now, you have a layer of grossness over a layer of bloom, and depending on how thoroughly that bloom covers the eggs, they are protected. You want to keep that bloom on there. Many have had nasty eggs hatch fine, it's the luck of the draw at this point. The only cleaning up I'd do is what I've stated here. Try not to worry about it too much, they're usually fine. Good luck!

Nope. Don't wash. Remove as much as you can of the mess, soiled bedding, etc. without disturbing the hen - you don't want her to stop sitting. Put a bit of clean bedding if needed. Wipe inside of nest box with a dry rag to get things dry. For the eggs, gently blot them dry, or gently rub them in the shavings to get the muck off. Also dry the bottom of your hen. The hen's body heat will soon dry the muck out, and anything left will just be a dry coating of nastiness. If you try to wash the eggs with just water or water and/or some type of soap, you risk removing the bloom, which is what protects the eggs from bacteria. Vigorous dry scrubbing can also remove the bloom. Right now, you have a layer of grossness over a layer of bloom, and depending on how thoroughly that bloom covers the eggs, they are protected. You want to keep that bloom on there. Many have had nasty eggs hatch fine, it's the luck of the draw at this point. The only cleaning up I'd do is what I've stated here. Try not to worry about it too much, they're usually fine. Good luck!
I’m already at the “dry layer of grossness “ sadly.

Good news is there is no way I’ll break her broodiness. We’re taken to calling momma the Angry Pterodactyl. She’s all in.

I’m already at the “dry layer of grossness “ sadly.

Good news is there is no way I’ll break her broodiness. We’re taken to calling momma the Angry Pterodactyl. She’s all in.
If you're already at the "dry layer of grossness", there's not much to be done, but that's actually a good thing. Dry = no/minimal bacterial action.

I love angry pterodactyls! They are so fun to watch as broody mamas! Hope you don't get pecked!

Back
Top Bottom