Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Quote:

Now that Matt has mentioned it, I was curious how many times the incubator was opened before the hatch was complete, and if you used any special technique to do it? I thought we weren't allowed to open it until the hatch was complete except for an emergency and then only in a super super humid room. But for me, this is only "book" learning not the real thing.
idunno.gif

Thank goodness I don't have to go far for my chicks...just had about 20 plus hatch and I got my order in that had Brown Leghorn chicks.  I treated myself to a Brinsea Incubator and love it.....
Which one did you get? Have you hatched with it yet? Ours is the Octagon 20 Advanced. We didn't get the humidifier after reading that it's not needed in this area. The humidity was a little fiddly to dial in but the temp and humidity both recovered in less than 2 minutes after opening. What I didn't like- the rocker assembly seemed to have a lot of potential for stripped screws. The fan is loud which is disappointing in a $350 appliance considering you can get a top of the line silent muffin fan for about $5, retail. For the price I'd expect a more advanced user interface, maybe even a wifi web cam and control interface with a mobile app. But it did take a lot of the guesswork out of incubating, and we had a 70% hatch rate so I can't complain too much.

Now that Matt has mentioned it, I was curious how many times the incubator was opened before the hatch was complete, and if you used any special technique to do it?  I thought we weren't allowed to open it until the hatch was complete except for an emergency and then only in a super super humid room.  But for me, this is only "book" learning not the real thing.  :idunno
Up to HD-2 we opened it about every other day, to candle and/or weigh. We also set it on a 1 hour automatic cool down after 10 days as recommended in the instructions. During hatching the Brinsea instructions do not recommend a "lockdown" but they do recommend not opening the case more than once every 6 hours, and we followed the instructions. When we opened it it would be open for less than a minute. We actually had more trouble keeping the humidity down once hatching started, and when we did open the case, the temp and humidity would both recover within a couple of minutes. Anyway, we had no shrink wrapped or stuck chicks except the bloody pip, and she was stuck in a pool of coagulated blood. I haven't opened the unpipped eggs yet to see what happened with them. We had high humidity more than low, so it's possible they drowned.

Now that Matt has mentioned it, I was curious how many times the incubator was opened before the hatch was complete, and if you used any special technique to do it? I thought we weren't allowed to open it until the hatch was complete except for an emergency and then only in a super super humid room. But for me, this is only "book" learning not the real thing.
idunno.gif
when hatching eggs i always retrieve chicks out of the incubator as soon as they are fluffy leaving the rest in to finish hatching and such. I've never had any get stuck to the shell from it because typically during that time it's reading 100% humidity

Which one did you get? Have you hatched with it yet? Ours is the Octagon 20 Advanced. We didn't get the humidifier after reading that it's not needed in this area. The humidity was a little fiddly to dial in but the temp and humidity both recovered in less than 2 minutes after opening. What I didn't like- the rocker assembly seemed to have a lot of potential for stripped screws. The fan is loud which is disappointing in a $350 appliance considering you can get a top of the line silent muffin fan for about $5, retail. For the price I'd expect a more advanced user interface, maybe even a wifi web cam and control interface with a mobile app. But it did take a lot of the guesswork out of incubating, and we had a 70% hatch rate so I can't complain too much.

I got the Brinsea 20 Adv with the humidity pump...add eggs, keep water in pump and wait...if the eggs are fertile I get a good hatch rate...with shipped eggs a lot less. I had a r-Com but it had a lot less hatch rate. My fan is not loud so call Brinsea and tell them about it...it might need to be replaced.

Haven't been on this thread for a while. My computer crashed, had to get a new hard drive, yada, yada...

I had a successful first hatch of the year with 12 Barnevelders and one little silkie hatching for me, and another two Barnies that a friend hatched for me. So I have 15 chicks in the brooder down in the goat barn now.

I just set 51 Barnevelder eggs, though I'm not sure how this hatch will go for a couple of reasons. 1) I stored up eggs for up to two weeks before setting them in the incubator and 2) I had to double stack 11 of the eggs since I put the turner in and it doesn't hold all those eggs. I use an older LG and get decent results with it since learning tricks from the LG thread here on BYC.

I have a Muscovy hen setting on eggs but I don't hold out much hope for them. She first layed them during the last super cold spell and I'm sure most of them froze before she started sitting on them in earnest. The problem is that she likes to lay under the hay barn and there is no way I can reach her nest. Oh well, last year I didn't think she'd hatch a thing her first time and she walked out from under that barn with 18 ducklings following her!

I'm still dying to take a couple of my Barnies to the show in Monroe but it's so costly to drive that far more than one day in a row and it's even more to stay in a hotel up there...so I probably won't make it up there this spring...I'll have to shoot for a fair closer to me (South of Kitsap County) and later in the year.

Spring is coming!

DD

This is about the fight of a 5yr old girl to keep her beloved silkie roo Dallas in a tiny farm/agriculteral UN-incorperated town in Dufur, OR.

OK ALL YOU WASHINGTON PEEPS...PLEASE READ THIS AND SIGN THE PETITION .
I AM THE SELF APPOINTED CHEERLEADER FOR THIS CAUSE!.

AFTER YOU READ AND SIGN PLEASE SEND IT TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS.

EVEN BETTER; SEND AN EMAIL TO DUFUR CITY COUNCIL!

.LETS LET THIS TINY TOWN OF DUFUR, OR. KNOW THAT AMERICA IS WATCHING THEM!

Thank you kindly......

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/974/870/400/saving-dallas-the-rooster/

https://www.facebook.com/savingdallastherooster

This is about the fight of a 5yr old girl to keep her beloved silkie roo Dallas in a tiny farm/agriculteral UN-incorperated town in Dufur, OR.

OK ALL YOU WASHINGTON PEEPS...PLEASE READ THIS AND SIGN THE PETITION .
I AM THE SELF APPOINTED CHEERLEADER FOR THIS CAUSE!.

AFTER YOU READ AND SIGN PLEASE SEND IT TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS.

EVEN BETTER; SEND AN EMAIL TO DUFUR CITY COUNCIL!

.LETS LET THIS TINY TOWN OF DUFUR, OR. KNOW THAT AMERICA IS WATCHING THEM!

Thank you kindly......

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/974/870/400/saving-dallas-the-rooster/

https://www.facebook.com/savingdallastherooster

you mean the world is watching them. There were people from the UK that signed that petition. :)

Back
Top Bottom