Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

does anyone have experience with standard size cochins?    Are they good egg layers?   they were included in my egg laying assortment for some reason.    maybe because nothing else was available.     But i've only had the smaller cochins and they aren't impressive with their egg laying.   

Hatchery birds are hatchery birds. They'll lay just fine.

Real Cochins aren't fantastic layers but they're better than some. They're one of the breeds that hover around 150 eggs a year or so.

Just curious if you have been pleased with your Cream Legbars as far as laying and temperament?

My hens are very nice girls, I have had still have him rooster that is a brat, my other ones have been nice. They lay pretty good about the same as my BCM maybe be more than them. I will say they can really fly, they flew up in one of my tree's one night pretty high.

are hatchery birds cross breeds that just resemble the breeds or something?

Most hatcheries have either crossed in something to increase production or bred the birds far away from their original type and body shape and size get sacrificed for improved laying. They just aren't realistically the original breed in any meaningful way.

Most hatcheries have either crossed in something to increase production or bred the birds far away from their original type and body shape and size get sacrificed for improved laying. They just aren't realistically the original breed in any meaningful way.

Good thing that the actual breeds don't matter much to me then. I just want a friendly chicken that lays eggs.

I live in Carnation. I have Marans, Swedish flower Hens, Cream Legbars, Spitz, Isbars and regular layers. I have some chicks and eggs...sometimes adults
Diane
Your not that far from me. about 2 hours. The local Feed store is placing an order for me. I have NO idea of the date yet they are coming in. OR what my other options will be besides what I have asked for. I want to keep you in mind though !!! We might also try ducks LOL. its going to be a bit of a zoo around here . Thank you for answering my post.

are hatchery birds cross breeds that just resemble the breeds or something?

I started with hatchery birds and they were great for egg layers. There isn't anything wrong with them, just when you pick them out make sure you get the most active chicks. When you get them home they need heat and you need to make sure they eat.

Back
Top Bottom