Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

We've been getting hit pretty hard the last couple of hours, and it's only going to get worse. The chooks are shut in the coop, the hatches are battened down, and the kids have been fed. Fingers crossed we don't loose power. I've got eggs in the incubator and chicks in the garage.

Last edited:
We've been getting hit pretty hard the last couple of hours, and it's only going to get worse. The chooks are shut in the coop, the hatches are battened down, and the kids have been fed. Fingers crossed we don't loose power. I've got eggs in the incubator and chicks in the garage.

Handwarmers are good for chicks if you loose power. I've used them to transport chicks the several hours from a show.

Handwarmers are good for chicks if you loose power. I've used them to transport chicks the several hours from a show.
They are almost never under their heat lamp anymore, so I'm not too worried about the chicks. It's more the eggs in the incubator. Although, if I end up loosing the whole batch of eggs, at least they were only on day 4, and not due to hatch...

Winds can be nasty. They haven't hit here yet and I'm glad they don't get as bad as it can down at the coast. My house is situated just right at the end of two huge ponds so we get nasty winds that blow through with no trees to break them up.

Whenever I till the garden or dig a hole, I put aside the large rocks. They get used to weight down things and I truly believe in the use of heavy duty corkscrew ground anchors for the chicken pens. Had the wind pick up one 10x10 dog kennel and throw it 200+ feet out into the field one year. The panels I use now are heavier and tied to the ground in several places. Plus I decided that it was more efficient to link all the panels together so pens share walls and the combined weight makes the thing really heavy.

Winds can be nasty. They haven't hit here yet and I'm glad they don't get as bad as it can down at the coast. My house is situated just right at the end of two huge ponds so we get nasty winds that blow through with no trees to break them up. 

Whenever I till the garden or dig a hole, I put aside the large rocks. They get used to weight down things and I truly believe in the use of heavy duty corkscrew ground anchors for the chicken pens. Had the wind pick up one 10x10 dog kennel and throw it 200+ feet out into the field one year. The panels I use now are heavier and tied to the ground in several places. Plus I decided that it was more efficient to link all the panels together so pens share walls and the combined weight makes the thing really heavy. 

Great ideas!!!

Back
Top Bottom