Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Brrrr 14 here this morning with about 15mph wind. It snowed about 5 inches Monday night with a 25 mph wind after that drifted snow into the run from the north took all day to clean out. Put up plywood wind breaks and new straw girls are out playing in the new straw with wind break on the north and sun on the south.

Brrrr 14 here this morning with about 15mph wind. It snowed about 5 inches Monday night with a 25 mph wind after that drifted snow into the run from the north took all day to clean out. Put up plywood wind breaks and new straw girls are out playing in the new straw with wind break on the north and sun on the south.

I'm glad we aren't that bad. It was 16 here this morning. No real wind. No snow yet. Tomorrow is supposed to warm up.

Been checking in on this thread to see if anyone's having issues with the weather. Looks like everyone's surviving just fine.

I had a good laugh at least - the last 2 days my run latch and coop latch both froze by morning, so my chickens couldn't figure out why I wasn't letting them out faster (they were all pressed against the door, quite offended) and meanwhile I'm whacking the latches to try and get them loose. Finally put some WD-40 in all the hinges and latches and today I had no issue.

I'm glad I insisted on buying a heater this last weekend for their water supply. My dog bowls are frozen solid, hummingbird feeder needs thawing (I feel so bad for them!) but the chickens have water.

Monday and Tuesday of next week they are calling for 8 and 7 degrees for lows not looking forward to that. I'm putting clear plastic alternated with plywood on the bottom three feet of the run thinking I can get some solar heat through the plastic. Anyone try that?

I snagged the smallest of the 6 week old chicks (and got another hen bite). It was like holding a handwarmer. It didn't appreciate the extra warmth of my jacket and made a break for it first opportunity.

Back
Top Bottom