Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

My dear sweet Marmalade has decided that she wants to try being broody, maybe. I found her sitting on today's eggs instead of being out free-ranging with everyone else. She had a big egg poking out from under her breast. Poor thing is so small that she can't sufficiently cover six eggs. I reached under her and pulled them all out, then scooped her up. She was surprisingly cuddly, but then she snapped out of it and hopped back down to the shelf. She scooted the eggs back under her, but tragedy struck when she rolled the last one under and one of the others was pushed out. She'd get that one back in place and another would be pushed out. It was so cute. She was letting me pet her beard, and she'd close her eyes.

I just wish Belgians wouldn't go broody at the drop of a hat.

Does the powder, corn starch, flour - dirt - just act as an absorbent then? Or does it actually stop the bleeding?
We use flour when the need arises. I'm pretty sure that it actually stops the bleeding. It's quite effective; we've never thought about buying any sort of product specifically for stopping bleeding.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif
I have even used dirt. See it was on a goats foot and we were at a show nobody had anything else and it was almost time for that goat to go in the ring. The dirt worked and the judge never noticed. I know dirt is not a good thing to use but hey desperate times call for desperate measures!

Does the powder, corn starch, flour - dirt - just act as an absorbent then? Or does it actually stop the bleeding?
Well I think that among other things it just helps clotting.

Something I've been thinking about: if a hen is going to be a broody, when will it start? Does it vary from bird to bird? I'm just wondering because I'm hoping that one of my super-friendly girls will be a broody so that I can get some English Orpingtons in a few years. They're all one year old, so I'm wondering if I should give up hope since no one has gone broody yet.

Something I've been thinking about: if a hen is going to be a broody, when will it start? Does it vary from bird to bird? I'm just wondering because I'm hoping that one of my super-friendly girls will be a broody so that I can get some English Orpingtons in a few years. They're all one year old, so I'm wondering if I should give up hope since no one has gone broody yet.
I have one Eng Orpington that has gone broody. She is doing very well and hopefully all the eggs she is setting will hatch for her. She's in 1/2 of a med dog size carrier and she has spread out so much she nearly covers every inch of it.
She has water and food and I check on her 1 or twice per day. She seems quite content. I think she has 6 eggs, not positive. I should know in about 10-11 days.

Quote: I'd love it if one of my girls from last year was broody because I'd like to get some Orp chicks and stuff them under her. I figure that if one of my super-friendly girls has chicks and teaches them that I'm okay, they will not be wild. If no one goes broody, I will have to make other plans. Since they're a year old and haven't gone broody yet, I fear that I need to come up with those other plans now.

The only thing I have to say about that it is actually more detrimental to the chicks to feed layer feed with higher calcium to chicks and young birds than it is to feed adult birds a feed with higher protein. :) Just my two cents. I would feed developer to all and put out some oyster shell for the ones laying. They will take what they need.
I feed flock raiser to all my older chicks and adult birds with oyster shell free choice.
See, this just proves what a noob I am. I didn't even know there was a flock raiser formula. I will probably be switching to that when the 50 pound bag is gone. I want to try feed from pbjls when I can get out there.

Quote:
big_smile.png
Careful, we may just come wipe out all your stock. bawhaha
gig.gif

I have one Eng Orpington that has gone broody. She is doing very well and hopefully all the eggs she is setting will hatch for her. She's in 1/2 of a med dog size carrier and she has spread out so much she nearly covers every inch of it.
She has water and food and I check on her 1 or twice per day. She seems quite content. I think she has 6 eggs, not positive. I should know in about 10-11 days.

ya.gif
fl.gif
pop.gif

I love how well orps fluff out in their broodyness
smile.png

Last edited:
I believe the flour or corn starch absorb some moisture and bond together to allow clotting. It allows the blood to clot without a great loss of blood. It works in place of platelets that may not be able to anchor to the wound edges to start creating the clot. So, in essence, you are providing the bonding material to create a clot (scab) that will slough off over time.

Make sense?

(No, I'm not a medically trained person, just uber curious about science and medicine.)

Back
Top Bottom