Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

So I wasn't planning on keeping any of the silkie chicks. This little girl (I'm pretty certain) is just so cute though. She's blue cuckoo. Cuckoo shouldn't be crossed with blue, but the BBS silkies I have carry some weird genes. Apparently one of the splash hens is cuckoo. This is her granddaughter. Only pigment holes are the eyes and beak, and one toe tip.

I got Pengin a red Japanese Maple (half off at Lowe's in Monroe). The variety is Red Dragon. I think it fits her personality. She was a feisty thing.
TB, so sorry for you loss. Dang coyotes. But this post did make me smile. It was the half off side comment. oy, such a deal.
The maple is a very nice touch and a great memorial.

Thanks! I have looked on the City of Lynnwoods web page but am not having much luck. The search continues. What kind of chicks did you get from them? How are they doing otherwise? One of our Buff Brahmas died at 3 days old, otherwise they are doing good. Good to know about Monroe Farm and Feed, I just looked on their web site and couldnt find anything about a rooster pen, is it always open for donations?
From Bothell Feed I bought 1 Silver Laced Wyandotte, a Speckled Sussex, a Cuckoo Maran and an Ameraucana. The Ameraucana and the Maran both ended up being roosters, the Wyandotte also died at 3 days old and the Speckled Sussex is a very sweet pullet that I plan on entering in the Evergreen State Fair next month in Open class. From Monroe I bought 2 Silver Laced Wyandottes, a Salmon Faverolle and a Blue Laced Red Wyandotte. The Blue Laced Red Wyandotte died two days ago, but the other 3 are doing great and I am keeping my fingers crossed that they all end up being pullets. Monroe Farm and Feeds rooster pen is open to anyone that has chickens that they no longer want. I found out about it on their facebook page. Someone had asked them if they knew anyone that wanted their rooster and they commented by saying they could drop it off in their rooster pen. I called to ask them about it and they said to bring him out and they would find him a new home. The rooster pen consists of two large covered dog runs with fresh shavings, fresh water and food. I felt a bit guilty as I was driving out to drop my rooster off, but after I saw the pen I felt better. There was a little Sebright rooster in the opposite pen and they were strutting back and forth, crowing at each other. It was pretty cute and I can only hope he is out on someone's farm now, protecting his flock of hens.

Quote:
I'm a cashier at the Lowe's in Monroe. A woman mentioned that the JMs were on sale. I thought it was a great price for a beautiful tree to remember her by. There's nothing wrong with them. I think they're just trying to get rid of some quickly to make room for other plants. I figured peeps in the Monroe area might be interested also.
wink.png

Are you all sufficiently impressed that I finally got a new password so I can join you again? My computer is still an annoying piece of junk. The screen display randomly shrinks to just 12% multiple times an hour and each time I have to force shut-down and it loses all my passwords that usually fill in automatically, so I am rarely on the beast anymore.

Totally Impressed - wondered where you were! And to answer the next post before I read it, no, but I will have chicks next week! BBS JG's and Blue copper Marans (courtesy CL) and AMS (courtesy Sumpfarmer).  Waiting with bated breath!

We need to remember to get in touch with the person who wants BLRWs, and by "we" I mean me and by me, I mean... going to have to put any Hamburgs that hatch on CL straight run, because I'm totally behind-hand on everything, and must get new pens built for the chickens I've got.

I am as always behind hand on everything, and feel as if I did not deserve the break I took Saturday afternoon to see a movie (Joss Whedon's version of "Much Ado About Nothing" which was pretty much great) and go shopping for wedding clothing with my daughter.

Last week my helper-time was mostly spent laying hose to mist the brush during fireworks, although we also moved the young Hamburgs in their too-big pen, and the sheep. Oh, and last week I mostly sheared the sheep, that's right.

I need to be two of me so I can catch up.

I too am a Washingtonian. We are recognizable by the complete lack of tan. We tend to mildew and rust rather than retainn color. The infernal rain hardly lets up except for the two weeks we get of summer. However we have some of the most beautiful woods to be found in the Pacific NW. Fishing is good, hunting is phenomenal (according to hubby, I couldn't kill a fly) and our birds here can rough it through the wettest of days. Go Washington.

Ok... I've been hogging this thread today, sorry! I've been away for several days and had to do some catching up. Welcome to any newcomers I missed!

I was in the garden this morning and cut some lavender for the coop and it got me to thinking about just how effective the practice is of adding herbs. Is it an old wives tale, or is there some valid studies to back it up. I haven't been thorough in my search but I found an article I wanted to share with anyone interested. It's about birds adding herbs to their nests, not chickens. Here's the link Birds Line Nests with Natural Antibacterials

Kate.... sounds like you're back in the bird business, yippee!

A friend had a bunch of extra catnip, and I had read that it was one of the herbs good for nestboxes.

So I put a bunch in half of the egg laying nestboxes, so the chickens could choose herb box or non herb box. They all chose the herb boxes
smile.png

I also put some at the edge of our broody girl's nest box, as I wanted to let the mama pull them in if she wanted them around her eggs.

By this morning, all the herbs had been pulled in around her eggs
big_smile.png
Probably gives them a little extra humidity too (since they're fresh herbs).
Speaking of...this is 'lockdown' for Juno - we can expect chicks on Thursday! Spitz and Brabanters for Hallerlake
jumpy.gif
Will post photos!

I too am a Washingtonian. We are recognizable by the complete lack of tan. We tend to mildew and rust rather than retainn color. The infernal rain hardly lets up except for the two weeks we get of summer. However we have some of the most beautiful woods to be found in the Pacific NW. Fishing is good, hunting is phenomenal (according to hubby, I couldn't kill a fly) and our birds here can rough it through the wettest of days. Go Washington.
welcome-byc.gif
Welcome!

Hello, I'm way down here in Rochester, locally known and loved as Rockchester. My chickens give me eggs and my land gives me rocks, lots and lots of rocks. (they grow in the dark of the moon!)
Anyway;
welcome-byc.gif
wee.gif

Last edited:

Welcome! Glad to have you here.
Sounds like you just need to travel East a little ways to the other 2/3 of the state, after all Washington is mostly a sunny four seasons state.
lol.png
Go Washington.

Tell us a little bit about your flock... what do you love?

Back
Top Bottom