Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

It's been interesting watching my one cockerel come into his own. He'll be 15 wks. on Monday. He is now looking bigger than the hens, mounted one today, fought the queen of the pecking order the other day and won, was being chased by the lowest hen, and today faced her off. His adult neck feathers are growing in, and he's crowing a lot. Been trying to tame him somewhat by holding him and stroking along his ears and neck, which he now leans into. Every day brings new adventures and discoveries. Now I will have to switch feed strategy so that he doesn't eat layer pellets, probably just get all flock. Currently the hens are separated along with their food, but he sometimes sneaks in there to eat when they are free ranging.
Have oyster shell and recycled eggshells for the ladies. Does that sound about right?

PopoMyers: It's been interesting watching my one cockerel come into his own. He'll be 15 wks. on Monday. He is now looking bigger than the hens, mounted one today, fought the queen of the pecking order the other day and won, was being chased by the lowest hen, and today faced her off. His adult neck feathers are growing in, and he's crowing a lot. Been trying to tame him somewhat by holding him and stroking along his ears and neck, which he now leans into. Every day brings new adventures and discoveries. Now I will have to switch feed strategy so that he doesn't eat layer pellets, probably just get all flock. Currently the hens are separated along with their food, but he sometimes sneaks in there to eat when they are free ranging.
Have oyster shell and recycled eggshells for the ladies. Does that sound about right?

I never feed my males anything different than the females.
I have never had any health issues with the males due to this.
Not once in 60 years.
I have seen this subject pop up in the last year that there could be too much calcium in layer and it can harm cocks & cockerels and I have never, ever seen this happen.
Just sayin'

Hermes the mini aussie. He already listens very well and learns fast

20220619_191709.jpg

Chickens think he's a monster come to eat him. Cats are unhappy. Luke the cat is 14 pounds. His sister Leia is 7 pounds and around the puppy's size. She is more tolerant.

20220619_193652.jpg

Back
Top Bottom