Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

I took a walk in the woods out back looking for golden chanterelle mushrooms. I didn't find any and really didn't expect to but I want to catch them when they're still young and in good shape for eating. I bet I'll find some after the next good rain storm.

Bought a new pressure cap for my truck radiator and put it on. I think the engine cooling system is all good now.

I decided to pick all the peppers and pull up the plants. They did their best and I got a fair crop from the 8 plants. Most are destined for the salsa factory.

The ones that didn't produce well were shaded by other plants. A couple that got more sun made more and bigger peppers.

View attachment 3945140
Your bell peppers look great! I’ve grown some nice peppers over the years but never bells!

Never have either not for lack of trying.
My pepper plants always where eaten by bugs.
I do not use allot chemicals never liked them.
I don’t like to use chemicals either! I did have to resort to strategic use of slug bait though. Before they came out with better ones I used to make traps out of cottage cheese containers.

Never have either not for lack of trying.
My pepper plants always where eaten by bugs.
I do not use allot chemicals never liked them.

I don’t like to use chemicals either! I did have to resort to strategic use of slug bait though. Before they came out with better ones I used to make traps out of cottage cheese containers.
Me neither, exept for a little slug bait a few times, and BT, the bacteria that kills cabbage worms. I had aphids a few times but they were always concentrated together on a single leaf or stem. I removed the aphid infested part of the plant and the aphids didn't return. No spray needed.

I took a walk in the woods out back looking for golden chanterelle mushrooms. I didn't find any and really didn't expect to but I want to catch them when they're still young and in good shape for eating. I bet I'll find some after the next good rain storm.

Bought a new pressure cap for my truck radiator and put it on. I think the engine cooling system is all good now.
Seems its been a few years since a good chanterelle showing happened, at least in my area. Now I've seen marketplace posts this season. I believe that the really hot summer we had 5 years ago decreased the vigor of the mycelium. My shitake logs that I had started that spring didn't produce anything.

Seems its been a few years since a good chanterelle showing happened, at least in my area. Now I've seen marketplace posts this season. I believe that the really hot summer we had 5 years ago decreased the vigor of the mycelium. My shitake logs that I had started that spring didn't produce anything.
Maybe this season will be better. At least I know where to look now after finding the chanterelle patch last fall. From what I understand they can be found in the same area year after year.

Canned all my small beet harvest, got 12 pints of regular and gold ones. I can always pickle them later. Been hoping that this damp weather dries up so my dry beans finish. I have had to pick them because of mildew and mold starting. Time to freeze more kale and collards before the powdery mildew takes them.
Finding Dora......she is my leghorn that's decided that the nesting boxes are not good enough for her. One day I found a clutch of eggs on an inner tarp. She can't get up there except from my garden, which she has also grazed and bathe in, and I've had to chase her out of and back into the run.
2 days ago, I found a clutch in my flower bed, next to the house in a nest of wet, dead iris leaves, so the white eggs are now stained. I moved my camera to that area. Lo, and behold, she is caught going there at 9:45 ish for the past 2 mornings. I had put a flat container there, and she didn't lay her egg. Then I find an egg on another part of the same tarp which hadn't been tied up after her previous clutch, and she could reach it.
I thought yesterday to put netting across so she couldn't fly up and get out.
Well, she got out again this morning. :he:barnieI decided to throw treats down, grabbed her, and clipped her wings. Stay tuned for more adventures of Dora the Explorer.

Maybe this season will be better. At least I know where to look now after finding the chanterelle patch last fall. From what I understand they can be found in the same area year after year.
That is true, in my experience. However, don't show or tell anyone, or they may beat you to them. One year my husband showed some people, and I saw them come back to hunt after that.

Personally, I don't care for the flavor of those, they taste like the smell of dirty socks to me. I like Shrimp Russulas, Elfin saddles, and Pine mushrooms. Boletes make great seasoning powder dried and ground.

There were some russula brevipes growing near the chanterelles, but they hadn't been infected by the fungus that turns them into lobster mushrooms. They were still white. I didn't try eating one, but maybe I should've.

IMG_3154.JPG

There were a few panther amanitas in the yard last fall...
IMG_3212.JPG

And some really strange looking helvella lacunosa mushrooms.

IMG_3183.JPG

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom