waterglassing eggs

Mrs. K

Crossing the Road
14 Years
Nov 12, 2009
western South Dakota
Last year, I bought 14 dozen eggs during the molt. Finally I have my flock built back up, and laying. Now I am in peak laying, so I have been giving eggs away, eating eggs and water glassing eggs.

I have two gallon and a 1/2 gallon jar put away - what I notice is that the lime does not stay dissolved, it comes out of solution. I am assuming that the way this works is that the lime changes the pH of the water.

So I assume this is ok, but now I have several dozen down there, and want to make sure this is ok, or somehow I missed a step?

Mrs K

My two gallon jars have a LOT of lime sitting on the bottom. I'm also so flush with eggs right now that I will have to set up another jar -- or 2 or 4 -- to keep up with production.

Hubby didn't care for the waterglassed eggs. The yolks all broke, and he likes his morning eggs over easy. So I had them as my usual scrambled and used them in baked goods.

Last year, I bought 14 dozen eggs during the molt. Finally I have my flock built back up, and laying. Now I am in peak laying, so I have been giving eggs away, eating eggs and water glassing eggs.

I have two gallon and a 1/2 gallon jar put away - what I notice is that the lime does not stay dissolved, it comes out of solution. I am assuming that the way this works is that the lime changes the pH of the water.

So I assume this is ok, but now I have several dozen down there, and want to make sure this is ok, or somehow I missed a step?

Mrs K
Totally normal
How long did you store them? I am hoping for better than that. But if so we will manage.
I've stored my water glassed eggs for two years and they've been just as tasty as ever. No ill effects at all. Best as scrambled or in baking

Back
Top Bottom