weak elderly duck weight of a feather wobbly etc (dying) but wants to stay out with flock?

Jenbirdee

Expecting Miracles
Premium Feather Member
Aug 9, 2020
Maryland
for the past few days, I’ve been keeping her in my duck hospital room and special duck hospital pen during the day with a couple other ducks who needed hospitalization (for things like prolapsed and respiratory issues that needed a lot of care) everybody’s back out with the flock now I’m just a little worried about Cookie getting picked on maybe? my plan was to continue to keep her in the special pen during the day and hospital room at night. and bring a different friend in with her for company, but she keeps going to the fence and is like trying to get into the big pen . I just want her last days to be happy for her.. also trying to decide if she was in pain or not and maybe I should put her to sleep with ether, when I put her in the bin, she kept popping her head up through the paper towels, telling me she wants to live

Last edited:
Let her be with her flock mates, please. Do keep an eye on her to ensure she is ok . If she is picked on, bring her and two or three non-aggressive friends into the separate pen during the day.
ok she’s doing pretty good so far. what about overnight in the duck house?

Small dog crates are great for a protecting night suite for ducks. I have a pekin drake that sleeps in a crate so he can see -- and shout at -- the muscovy but he is safe from their bites. Prior to this pekin drake, another pekin drake slept in the dog crate with his bonded muscovy pal sleeping atop it so he could lean over and see his pal!

Small dog crates are great for a protecting night suite for ducks. I have a pekin drake that sleeps in a crate so he can see -- and shout at -- the muscovy but he is safe from their bites. Prior to this pekin drake, another pekin drake slept in the dog crate with his bonded muscovy pal sleeping atop it so he could lean over and see his pal!
It sounds something like sleeping compartments on a train

it’s sad, she’s puffed up and her eyes are so tiny and she stumbles, but she still eats peas and a little floating feed, and she was standing by the pool for a while so I put her in and she seem to be enjoying standing in the water and I find it amazing and endearing that the ducks around the pool in the picture are all of my other 8 1/2 year-olds that she’s been with all her life, all of them standing around her while she is dying. It’s just like a person in a hospital bed with their family surrounding them…
39B6640E-C016-4629-99A8-86D621FA090C.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom